British Army Basha/Tarp tested in heavy rain last night!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 4, 2012
Yorkshire
Ok so me and my mate headed upto the peak district near Shefield yesterday morning and after lots of scouting around managed, with great difficulty, to find a nice secluded spot with no people,very rare! I decided to opt for my British Army Basha with a basic DD hammock hung underneath, something I have never tried overnight, I'd only hung them up as a mock run up until this trip. Well everything seemed to be going ok, I got them both hung and tensioned out, and the whole thing looked great, and then....... of course...... came the ultimate test, eight hours of relentless rain! well to start with it all seemed nice and cosey swaying in my hammock listening to the rain patter on my tightly taughted tarp, until after around half an hour when i realised that the middle seam that runs along the apex was getting wet, it was leaking! This progressivly got worse to the point where it was dripping onto my sleeping bag and my face, oh no horrible feeling! I couldnt believe it, is this what is issued to the British Army soldier of today? Il never again make the mistake of trusting British Army Kit on the assumption that it must be more than adequate for the job otherwise the MOD wouldn't issue it to proffesional soldiers. I don't understand why they dont make the whole tarp out of one piece of material, then it wouldnt have this problem because there would be no seam.
I didnt get a winks sleep in the hammock and im still not sure if hammocks are for me due to having a bad neck anyway, but being cold and wet all night did kind of distracted me from giving the hammock a fair chance.

I was a bit concerned when i bought the woodland dpm basha as the silicone mould along the seem didnt look to be glued 100% in some places especially around the ridge line hangers. I once tried a desert dpm basha when i first got into wild camping and that one leaked in the same place down the seam, however i put that down to not hanging it properly so that the water ran off.

Well the basha ruined my trip but it was a good test, better to find out now than later, say if I took it on a weeks camping trip and then discovered how incompetent it were, that would be disasterous! My mate's brand new tent leaked as well, he got a pool of water underneath thus making it's way into the tent, so that made me feel a little better knowing he got wet too haha!

I would be interested to know if anyone has had simlar experiences with these bashas and if it's possible for them to be re sealed. Im not sure If it is a genuine B Army Basha or a Milcom/webtex copy, the army surplus store where i bought it said it was MOD issue but im not convinced. It has no pop studs on it which i read somewhere else on here is a marker of an original one. Ive also heard conflicting debates about which side should face upwards to the rain, im pretty sure its the side with the silicone mould , the other side has a green tape seem but that gets soaked when water touches it, also the carry handles are on the side with the green tape and the ridge line holders are on both sides, so still unsure about it. Also can anyone recommend any other tarps possibly made from one piece of material not two pieces sewn together?

On a positive note the day went well and the weather was great until the night came, not much in the way of foraging this time and no road kill! I take back what i said in the last posting about nettles being ubiquitous, i couldn't find one nettle in these pine woods where i pitched last night! Plenty of wild rose bushes,and blackberry bushes but they berries weren't ripe enough to pick anyways.

Last edited:

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Look at my recent hammock camp, trip report. I have two issued tarps. Both are brilliant in high winds and thunderstorms. They are genuine issue, have tags etc. Maybe yours is not issue type?

Last edited:

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
The army bashas don't have press studs and they havnt used them since the old 58 pattern, the older modern ones have brass eyelets and the newer ones black it also depends on how you hang it, I do mine from the loops on either end rather than use the centre loop with a long line which tends to strain the silicone seal. You can reseal them but you have to either overseal the existing silicone or try to pick it off and start from scratch using regular clear silicone. I've just done it on a tarp I made using half a short length of 1 1/2" pipe cut in half and jubilee clipped around the nozzle of the silicone, its only really the seam edge and the stiching you need to cover but make sure the tarp is taught until its totally dry.

s'étonner

Forager
Aug 19, 2010
Leicester, UK
That sounds like a horrible experience. I too bought an 'army issue' tarp from my local surplus store, and had the same problem with the centre seam. Applying seam sealer did not fix it either.

However, there is a range of cheap camo gear that gets sold as MOD kit but is in fact just cheap and useless. Perhaps yours is the same. I replaced that tarp with another military one that was still only around 20 quid, but of vastly superior quality. No leaks anymore!

Don't let that experience put you off hammocking- it has taken me a while to get comfortable sleeping in a hammock. I am a stomach/side sleeper and my first handful of trips were quite uncomfortable and I didn't sleep much. But using a pillow and experimenting with different laying positions/hanging styles has now made using my hammock a heavenly experience!

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Sounds like an interesting weekend Aidy ;)!

I used a Web-tex 'Army' basha for years. Never had any issues with it, other than its considerable weight. It's made of some very heavy duty rubberised nylon so at 1.2kg it doesn't get any use any more, but to its credit it never leaked.

Jul 27, 2013
Galashiels
All genuine British Army issue kit used be marked with a crow's foot symbol near the part number / description, although I'm not sure if this is still the case?

Jackdaw

I have used British Army bashas for years and never had a problem with them. That said, it is not beyond the realms of possibility that they would fail now and then. As has already been said, it might not have been an original one. Don't get put off though. I'm just starting out on the old hammocking route as I spend most of my nights out in the field on the ground out of necessity rather than choice but am willing to give it a few goes before I get it right.

Jack

May 4, 2012
Yorkshire
Ok thanks for the feedback everyone, Im still not sure if it's genuine army issue or not, it doesnt have the pop stud fasteners. Re sealing it sounds like a lot of messing around and still chance of failing again, i generally think its not such a great design, like i said, even the desert camo one leaked on the first go aswel. However like some of you said yours has never failed, maybe I just have bad luck. Well no it hasn't put me off hammock camping, im willing to try different things until I get a set up that's perfect for me.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I've got a few tarps :eek:...

DD 3x3m- A great all rounder, tend to use it when ground sleeping or rigging up for a cooking area.
Tenth Wonder Sargasso Storm- My hammock tarp brilliant bit of kit that's seen me through some heavy weather.
Tenth Wonder poncho tarp- Very light and good with a bivvy bag. Decent poncho too.
Polish Lavvu Half- Everyone should have a canvas tarp :). Plus it buttons up to make a pretty cool cloak :D
Swedish Ensamma Vargen- Not sold on this one... Its small and heavy not had chance to use it anger yet.
Patt 58 poncho - Good bit of kit but a bit on the heavy side.
And the web-tex basha...

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
Its a shame you were let down by your tarp. Last weekend I survived 12 hours of constant rain under a DD 3x3tarp rigged diamond fashion over my DD hammock, dry and comfy. Do persevere with the hammock, it is well worth the effort. There are many more ways to lie in a hammock than there are on the flat. If you shuffle around and try different positions you are sure to find one that works for you.

One other important thing to take care of is to stop water that comes running down your hammock suspension from getting into your hammock. There are various ways of doing this; storm rings, drip lines, carabiners etc. and lots has been written about this elsewhere.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I don't understand why they dont make the whole tarp out of one piece of material, then it wouldnt have this problem because there would be no seam.

The limit is the width of the loom that makes the fabric. Seems that 50", 60" and there's ones called double width at 90". Not sure what fabrics all those are generally used for though.

May 4, 2012
Yorkshire
Yeah thanks for that, i did a bit of research with the hammock when i first bought it so i went and got some cheap robust locking caribiners but the paracord which then attatched to the hammock was a bit long and was exposed out in the rain thus defeating the object although at least the caribiner broke the water path from the webbing, just need to make the connecting hammock cord shorter so it sits under the tarp and try some less stretchy cordage also.

May 4, 2012
Yorkshire
Wow now I see why they call you Kit! Well that's great Im in the process of experimenting with kit but it would be great if i could just settle with one or two things that work. Il defo have a look at some of those tarps you mentioned, ive seen the Lavu tents before on ebay.

May 4, 2012
Yorkshire
great pics mate, and great tarp setup, do you have any close up shots of the tarp so i could compare it to mine, i have desert dpm one as well, what do you mean by tags, are there stamps or something that indicates that it's army issue on the tarp?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE