British army arctic sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Hi,

I've just acquired a British army arctic bag from ebay to use in Sweden next winter.

It's got two mesh pockets on the outside, a flap that velcros over the zip opening to cheap the cold out/heat in and a kick bottom compression sack made of a water proof material.

It's got a synthetic lining but I cant see the care instructions on the label as it's had a fair bit of use.

Any one had any experience with these types of bags and know how to look after them?

Also if anyone has any other useful info on this or other Arctic kit I'd be interested to hear.

Thanks

Barry

Jim_aramis

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
East Cheshire
Sounds inside out to me.

Mine also has a strap at the foot on the outside which i assume is for getting it out of the stuffsack. I don't know what temp I've been down to but I've always been warm inside even when I've had frost on my bivvy bag.

It's bulky but more than big enough for my 6ft size.

backwoodsman

Nomad
Jan 22, 2007
lincolshire
the strap at the bottom is not to pull it out of the bag but to lace the bottom of the bag through so as to make it slightly shorter to fit your size (length), this means you dont have a pocket of cold air around you feet which would take ages to heat up.
Try it will an ordinary bag, fold the excess under your feet and you will it much warmer.Provides better insulation aswell.

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
I've not used one of these bags, how good are they, will they fit my lad who is 6'3" and well built?

i would think so, i have one i leave up my local campsite and at 6,2 find it quite spacious. would be better for some to measure but just to be safe

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I'm not able to do a picture at the moment but it does sound like I have it inside out!

For the guy that was asking about this bag for his 6'3" son - yes it will fit him. I am 6'6" and 17 stone and it fits me really well. I even reckon there's space for a fleece liner to boost the warmth for the very, very cold swedish nights.

Anyone actually used one of these in the arctic? some of our forces or ex forces guys must have used one in Norway?

Barry

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I used one of these on the Training area in Bergen Hohne. It is the only time my old Snugpak Discovery has left me a bit cold, but it really was colder than any place I'd ever been before or since. My Snugpak Discovery has been used in Norway, on top of Kilimanjaro, on top of Mount Igman overlooking Sarajevo in the dead of a Bosnian winter and down in the Falkland Islands which isn't quite the end of the world but you can see it from there! It has always kept me incredibly warm, but bergen Hohne was just a bit too cold for it! In the issue bag with my Snugpak Black on Black jacket on, I was warm enough to get some kip!

It really was that cold, i can only feel for the german troops who went to Russia during the war, it was even colder there!

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
We used them at RAF Goose bay with a bivvy bag when we went for our Carribou hunt seemed warm enough it was minus eighteen without the wind chill factored in, I think you'll be warm enough.

ukarcher

Jul 9, 2006
England
They are so good, when I moved to the USA, the only bit of camping gear I took with me was my arctic issue sleeping bag. I have never had a sleeping bag as good as that one and I never want to be without it. The only camping I've done here so far though, it was 80f at night so a sleeping bag wasn't needed. Anyone know where I can get an AC unit that runs on batteries. :D

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
just a word of caution, i think these bags come in ordinary, and extra long sizes, if you are six three plus you might want to be sure you get the extra long.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE