British 58 Pattern Sleeping bag - Good Sleeping bag? Info?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hello and Merry Christmas everyone!

I just came across a "Long - British 58 pattern" Sleeping bag.

Is it a good sleeping bag? What temperature is it rated for?

I am 6'4" tall - will it fit me?

Anyone have any first hand experience with it?

Any information on this bag would be appreciated.

I found it for $25 USD.

Thank you.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Used one for 6 years when in the Territiorial Army. Never felt cold, even in the Scottish winter. Standard length is only fit for cadets and Gurkhas. Anyone over 5'10" needs Long. At your height the length will be marginally small/probably just ok. I can measure mine if you like.

Feather and Down. Old ones can smell a bit so I bought one new. Tested last year at minus 6 celsius, hammock, no tent, and was comfortable.
Not the most compact when packed. Waterproof base is handy - was originally intended for use with just a poncho.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I found one on ebay for my son who sleeps happily in it. It is 'standard' size and there is no way I, at 6'1'' would ever fit inside! I will probably sell it back on ebay when he grows out of it which at the present rate isn't that long!
Nice quality bag though, tough, and luckily for us, not smelly at all.
Swyn.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Anyone know about the Army Arctic Sleeping Bag MK2 that you can usually pick up for around 20/30 quid?

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Hi all

I was told by a friend of mine who's dad was in the army that the reason a 58 pattern sleeping bag smells is because they are impregnated with a moscito
repellant?

quiggers

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2004
East Stratton
yeah, I've got one of the artic bags - believe they're the same as the pattern 58 but no waterproof base and more fill (although can't be certain).

It's really bulky, and almost regretted buying it, until had a few really cold nights and never felt the cold - brilliant bit of kit - but not light or small.

In fact I usually find it cold due to the fact the girlfriend steals it and I'm left with hers instead.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
I have bought one and after dry cleaning the smell went. Anybody any idea how it was used with a poncho, and what pattern/style of poncho was used? I noticed it has a few pop studs on the bag so thats probably where the correct poncho fits.

I have tride the bag out in early December frost in the garden and i was very snug.

Sandsnakes

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Funnily enough, you use it with a '58 pattern poncho! :rolleyes:

It can popper onto the bottom of the bag, but the poncho is often used as a basha. With a waterproof base and then the poncho wrapped around and poppered into place, it should be very waterproof but I never used it like that.

If you can get hold of a long bag, that is perfect, beware the short which is stupidly small! They are impregnated, but not with mozzie repellant. They are normally impregnated with sweat, training area mud and wee!!!

Jackdaw

I was issued one of these when I first joined the Army at 16. They are great pieces fo kit so long as they have kept there down fill. One I was issued with could be looked through!

The poppers where designed for a specific poncho which had become obselete by the time I joined. Instead we were issued basically the same type but without the poppers. Was all green and had a hood that was tied at the neck to stop water getting through. You then used a role mat to sleep on and suspended the poncho between 4 trees, almost flat but with a slight dip on one end for water to flow off.

You could raise the poncho whenever you needed to do admin of yourself or your kit and lower it when it got rainy or windy.

If you can get one cheap and in good condition then buy it, otherwise I would opt for the 98 pattern bag as it's more robust and doesn't mind the wet as much as down does.

An issue goretex bivi bag is invaluable for the most inclement of weather. On it's own it's good, but combined with a basha/poncho it is better than any tent I have used.

Don't know about the mosquito repellent, I thought it was because when issued the Army was operating on a limited budget and never cleaned them. It's expensive to dry clean something whereas the current issue one can be put in a standard washing machine at the end of your trip and washed out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE