Brining mistake...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wooky114

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2009
Aberdeenshire
I caught and brined some mackerel for smoking earlier today, the only problem being I forgot to add sugar to the brining solution and the fillets are currently air drying in the oven (just the fans on to circulate the air), my question is, are the fillets going to taste like salted meat or do you reckon they're still usable?

Alternatively, is there a way to save the situation and add sugar at this lat stage of the brining process before smoking them.

Help....

wooky114

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Well hickory smoked 12 fillets and oak smoked another 12, both for 45 minutes, both lovely, even the cat liked it.... Next time we'll see how they turn out with sugar in the brine...

The last 12 are air drying overnight to get cherry smoked tomorrow night...

wooky114

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2009
Aberdeenshire
The last batch are done - chestnut smoked and yummy they are to... I just need some fish/fillets now so I can try the cherry out and get the brine solution right next time...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE