The Turbodryer - A fast way of drying meat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Hi there

I happened to come across a rather simple solution for drying meat: link

In my neck of the wood (northern Sweden), drying meat is only done in spring, where you simply hang the salted meat in the open for five weeks to dehumidify it. This requires dry air, so that technique is kind of limited to the very north of scandinavia and the like. But using this piece of DIY kit, you can do it anywhere and in just 5 or 6 days.

I attached a 100 mm fan normally used in bathrooms to a 70 l plastic container and drilled something like 10 holes for air outlets. Then I added three threaded rods (what I had on hand) for hanging the meat hooks on.
20140806_114723_zps57f1bb75.jpg

Please Have someone trained connect the cables. I am.

Now for processing the meat....this might also be deadly ;)

Pick a lean cut of meat, preferably game. Cut away any fat you can and slice the meat in 3 cm slices (along direction of the fibers if possible. When dried you cut across the fibers). This is not Jerky, btw.

Make a brine(?) out of:
3 l water,
240 g of salt and
1 dl sugar (I honestly do not know why sugar is added, but still I do it).

When the brine is at room temperature, add the meat and keep it there for three days. I have had it in the fridge as well as on a counter top...it makes no difference in my opinion.

Before you hang the meat in the TurboDryer, take the meat from the brine and put it in ordinary water for half an hour (this will prevent the salt near the surface to form a white layer on the utside of the meat)
Put it in the dryer and plug it in....five to six days later you have dried meat.

A word of caution...this might be a bit salty. Shockingly so, to some....so you might want to try on a single piece of meat and then adjust the recipe. But this is, more or less, how it is done up north.

During the drying, I have had no complaint from my wife of daughter with regards to smells or such. It is from my perspective odour free. The sound of the fan bugs me, however.

Cheers,
Greger

EDIT: Added link

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE