bringing back the dead

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
the dead axe that is ;)

i was recently helping my gran clear out her garage and found an old axe that belonged to my late granpa. i could tell straight away through the layers of rust and cobwebs that it is a good quality axe. sadly the blade was notched to hell and buried beneath more rust than you could shake a file at.

after many (many) hours of filing and frantically scrubbing with wire wool i have finally cleaned and reprofiled the head. now for the hard part, the old handle was very loose and unattractive so i've decided to rehandle it.

after much thought and consultation with my good friend peter t i have decided on using elm for the handle, strong and springy and a nice attractive colour.

so step one, acquire the wood, this is where being friends with a tree surgeon comes in handy ;)
DSC00164.jpg

step two, split the wood, not easy to do with elm
DSC00165.jpg

DSC00166.jpg

many different wedges and much hammering later
DSC00167.jpg

then it was time to rough my chosen chunk of elm into a decent bit of wood to work with, the end result of that being this
DSC00169.jpg

DSC00170.jpg

and thats all my aching hands would allow me to do today, my next job is to mark out the shape i want and rough it out, i shall put pics and comments of that up once i have done it.

oppinions and advice more than welcome,

TJ

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Good posting,
are you using the said axe to make it's new handle? Seems like a nice circle if you are.
GB

Jack_D

May 11, 2009
Midhurst
I'll be really interested to see how the next stage goes as I am in a similar position and I have tried to do one before but really struggled with the head alignment. It would be great to see how you manage that stage. Good luck

Jon

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
Good posting,
are you using the said axe to make it's new handle? Seems like a nice circle if you are.
GB

Im afraid not, as nice as that would be said axe is currently without a handle.

I shall try and get some more done tomorrow to update for you all but after i've roughed it out i wont be able to do anything untill it has seasoned.

Thanks for all your support,

TJ

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Just yesterday, i was clearing out my dads shed, and came across a lovely little elwell axe, that is so light and well balanced its unreal. It does have what i think is the original handle, but it is much abused and in need of another.

Rob

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
as i promised i got my **** in gear today and roughed it out, now all i can do is sit back and wait for it to season before i do anymore.

here it is ready for me to rough it out with the head on the left
DSC00171.jpg

here it is nearly done, just thought i'd snap up a pic whilst stopping for a smoke
DSC00172.jpg

and here it is roughed out and awaiting the harder parts
DSC00173.jpg

i really cant wait for it to season so i can get on and finish it, i know i could probably speed up the process somehow but i'd rather not risk it.

i'll let you all know when its ready for me to start work again,

TJ

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
cruel to you? how do you think i feel? :p

im hoping no longer than a week now that i've roughed it out and minimised the amount of wood that needs to dry out and its being kept in a rather warm room.

i'll be back to work as soon as its ready,

TJ

Scoffham

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2009
Cumbria
make sure you seal the ends with wax/silicon. This gives a more even moisture loss... rather than it all from both ends- causing stresses within the wood- then splits.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
......its being kept in a rather warm room.

I wouldn't keep it in a warm room as that'll make it dry out too fast and cause splits to form. Last thing you want is to do all the hard work and have it ruined by the wood splitting because it dried too fast.

Best bet is in a paper bag somewhere reasonably cool and airey and as Scoffham says treat the ends to get an even drying

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
ooh i didnt know about treating the ends, i'll seal them up with wax asap, and i'll see if i can relocate it to a cooler room, its in my bedroom at the moment which is always very warm.

thanks for the advice guys :)

TJ

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
I see you are using a cold chisel to split the trunk down, I use a couple of brick bolsters that I have put an edge on to get a nice straight line started, depending on the grain, knots etc it doesnt always stay straight but usually fairly good.

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
hey, I'm really sorry about being so late to finish this post, during the long wait for the seasoning I completely forgot I'd started this post.

The axe is finished now and has been used a fair few times already, I'm afraid i didn't get any pictures of the rest of the process, but here is a few of it finished.

DSC00224.jpg

DSC00226.jpg

DSC00225.jpg

DSC00227.jpg

And here it is with some other items i've done, a long handled club hammer and a knife i handled.

DSC00228.jpg

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Love it, never seen a wedge/pin whatever you want to call it in the eye like that before. Can you tell me some more about it, how its shaped how long, how you put it in etc

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
Love it, never seen a wedge/pin whatever you want to call it in the eye like that before. Can you tell me some more about it, how its shaped how long, how you put it in etc

the wedge? its a steel hammer wedge, got it out of the eye of another hammer i'm working on, normally theyre a straight line but this one(as you can see) is circular.

this is what it looks like out of the eye.

size-2(3).gif

all you need to do to use one is make sure the end is sharp, then just hammer it in like a nail untill it doesnt want to go any further then file whats left of it down flush with the rest of your eye.

you use these to stop your main wooden wedge from popping out when you use the axe, however you can also just put another wooden wedge going the other way but i forgot to do that untill i'd already fitted the head :p.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE