Brightness of my duel fuel lantern ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Ive got a Coleman duel fuel duel mantle lantern, which ive just replaced the mantles on. Trouble is it doesnt seem very bright.
It pressures up fine and seems to be working tip top in everyother sense apart from the brightness.

Id have thought that having two mantles it should be brighter than a bright thing.

Any ideas ?

Paul

D

Deleted member 7976

Was it running OK before you replaced the mantles? and how not very bright is not very bright?

Did you set fire to the mantles first to prime them? (if that's the correct term)

Magicman2

Jul 8, 2010
King's Lynn Norfolk
Sorry if this is off subject but I am new here so please excuse me, I have got a Coleman two mantle lantern as well, when I went Beach fishing with a friend his old Tilley lamp lasted longer and burnt brighter, so I was going to get a Tilley until another friend told me about a sinle LED 4cell Coleman lantern which is brighter still without all the faffing about, stick some foil on half of it and its directional as well, haven't tried one yet but I am surely going to.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Ive got a Coleman duel fuel duel mantle lantern, which ive just replaced the mantles on. Trouble is it doesnt seem very bright.
It pressures up fine and seems to be working tip top in everyother sense apart from the brightness.

Id have thought that having two mantles it should be brighter than a bright thing.

Any ideas ?
Paul

If it's dull a couple of things could be happening.

1. The mantles might just be of poor quality. TBH with Coleman Stuff I stick to using their mantles as they are very good and consistant. I also avoid the 'clip on' style mantle and always used a tie on. Have you fitted the correct size mantles for the lantern??

2. The generator tube could be on the way out and the lantern is not delivering the full fuel mix.

It's liklely that you would have noticed the lantern getting duller prior to changeing over the mantles if the gen tube was poked...

Rik's question is a good one what fuel are you running. Coleman do say dual fuel ( unleaded + white gasoline) but running lanterns and stoves on unleaded is a quick way to knacker them IMHO.

HTH

John

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Im not sure what fuel is in actually as it has been in my friends garage for a while. The mantles are the Coleman clip on type, and am not actually sure if they are the right ones though as i thought they were all trhe same size. Can anyone point to the correct ones to choose ?
( i did pre burn the mantles aswell ) and the lantern has had very little use, probably only once before actually.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If you have been burning dirty fuel or car petrol the generator gets blocked and to be honest its a lot easier to get a new gen off ebay. I go with John regarding the clip on 'Insta matles' I too prefer the tie on. There is a mantle number for your lantern but unless I go down to the lockup (only six miles away) and check my stash I can't remember the number to be honest, IIRC its a #21 but not positive about that.

Pick up a 5 litre can of panel wipe from your nearest motor spares shop, its in fact clean naptha so much the same as Coleman fuel but LOTS cheaper.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE