Bream

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boots12

Tenderfoot
Jan 29, 2006
West Yorkshire
Has anyone any tips for cooking this fish, recipe's please. As this is the first time trying bream, i wiil be cooking it inside the house. I have cooked the usual trout/salmon outside, :D

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I find the bbc.co.uk/food website very helpful for recipes.

They have a recipe finder, you type in the ingredient (s) and it lists a load of recipes.

Have a look !

Lee_shanahan

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2007
South Wales
If its River bream and it tastes muddy the best way to take the taste of mud away is if you have just caught it, keep it alive and place it in clean fresh water with no mud in i.e. an old bath tub, allow to swim around for 2 to 4 days and then kill it, this should take the taste of dirt away.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I think the only recipe that works for freshwater bream is the same one as I was given for Wrasse. This involves only four things... the fish, a large pan, some water and a brick.. :p

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
Lee_shanahan said:
If its River bream and it tastes muddy the best way to take the taste of mud away is if you have just caught it, keep it alive and place it in clean fresh water with no mud in i.e. an old bath tub, allow to swim around for 2 to 4 days and then kill it, this should take the taste of dirt away.

A handy tip though I saw HFW try the same kind of thing with a fish (cant place what type right now) and even after placing in a full setup with a contant supply of new fresh runnin water for 4 days it still had the muddy taste to it, so it might simply be one of the aspects of river fish.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Try this:
Baked Bream
1 bream 2lbs (1k) or thereabouts - gutted and scaled
Olive oil
1 onion - peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic - peeled and crushed
4 very ripe tomatoes or 1 tin italian tomatoes
1 tbspn tomato puree
2 tspns sugar
12 black olives - pitted and halved
pepper - fresh black
squeeze of lemon juice
handful fresh chopped parsley

Heat your oven to Gas Mark 6,400 F or 200C

Wash and dry the fish.

Heat some olive oil and soften the garlic and onion. Add the tomatoes, puree and sugar and simmer for about 5 minutes.

Oil an ovenproof dish and spread half the tomato mixture on the bottom - lay the fish on top.

Season with pepper and lemon juice and then arrange the olives on top - cover with the other half of the tomato mixture - add the chopped parsley evenly over the whole dish.

Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes until the fish is cooked through.
source: http://www.find-a-seafood-recipe.com/freshwater-fish-recipes.html

I have to warn you that Bream have many little bones which make them fiddly to eat :eek:

Check out the web site as there are some good recipes for other freshwater fish ;)

Also after some recent incidents, you should check the local bylaws regarding taking freshwater fish to eat. Sadly the situation is far from clear. And do avoid waters which may be polluted etc.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
I thought that the standard recipe for river fish, excepting perch, pike, trout and salmon was to cut a piece of corrugated card to the inside diameter of your cooking point and place three small to medium stones in the pot.
Put in enough water to be just below the top of the stones and a sprig of favourite herb. Lay prepared fish and vegetables on the cardboard and place carefully on the stones. Bring to a rolling boil and steam gently until flesh separates and is an even colour all through.
Remove gently from the pot, throw away the fish and eat the cardbaord and vegetables with salt and pepper to taste.

:0)

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Feygan said:
A handy tip though I saw HFW try the same kind of thing with a fish (cant place what type right now) and even after placing in a full setup with a contant supply of new fresh runnin water for 4 days it still had the muddy taste to it, so it might simply be one of the aspects of river fish.

It was a Grass Carp, hooked out of the local gentry’s ornamental pool. The story hook was that, if he could make it into suitably posh nosh for said nob’s cohorts, he would have free reign to fish the pond. God I’ve seen that series too many times!

As to the taste – I’ve never experienced it, but my grandfather described most fresh water fish of that ilk as “cotton wool with pins in”

AJB

Apac

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2007
Hull, uk
seems abit harsh lol. who go to the bother of bathing it just put it back ;) or put it out of its misurry.. plus if u have a fish in your bath you mite start to become a bit muddy urself :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE