Bread in a Dutch oven?

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Ok, a question, if you can bake the bread in the oven on just a layer of flour to stop it sticking, why can't you let the dough rise in there too?

Then simply move the oven closer to the fire when the dough is ready?

You can, and I do.

As long as the dough does not press against the sides and top of the oven as it swells in size you'll be fine. But I would also give the dough a nice coating of oil and a dusting of polenta - especially lots on the bottom to stop it sticking then burning when you do put it nearer the fire. Polenta is IMHO better than flour for this job as it has much larger grains and does not got soft/mushy that easily with the presence of a little oil. Also - without it congealing it helps it be non-stick.

LBL

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
You can, and I do.

As long as the dough does not press against the sides and top of the oven as it swells in size you'll be fine. But I would also give the dough a nice coating of oil and a dusting of polenta - especially lots on the bottom to stop it sticking then burning when you do put it nearer the fire. Polenta is IMHO better than flour for this job as it has much larger grains and does not got soft/mushy that easily with the presence of a little oil. Also - without it congealing it helps it be non-stick.

LBL

Smart, never thought of that!

You can, and I do.

LBL

excellent tip!! :You_Rock_

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I’ve made bread quite a few times but I’m no expert and have certainly never made it in the field, as it were. So here’s my plan...

In to a large zip lock bag, with enough oil in it to hopefully prevent the dough sticking to it too much, add most of the warm water. I figured adding the water first might make mixing in the bag a bit easier. Then add a Tesco’s bread mix (500g) and kneed in the bag – adding the extra water if necessary.

Shape into a ball with floured hands and dropped onto a oiled tinfoil pie dish which is sat on a trivet raised off the bottom of the Dutch oven – rise, bake, eat, sounds easy!

Comments on the plan please :)

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
My turn for a question. Where to get a suitable trivet for the bottom of the dutch oven and what does it look like? Or is that two questions? :)

The "official" Griswold trivet is a cast iron circular plate with holes through it, and three stubby feet underneath it. The purpose is to keep your baking dish from having direct contact with the bottom of your dutch oven. Direct contact transfers the heat too fast and you end up with burnt/scorched bottom on your bread/pie.

I have made and used a home-made version. I took a length of 3/16 inch iron rod, and bent it into a spiral. A circle will also work, but the spiral allows you to use different diameter pans inside. You can also use a section of metal grill-work - like part of an old charcoal grill, a refridgerater shelf, etc. It is just a spacer between the D/O bottom and whatever pan you are baking/cooking things in. In a pinch, a couple small rocks will also work. The hard part is finding small enough rocks - that have not been "soaked" in water.

As to Biscuits. They are simply flour/salt/baking powder and oil/water bread. Or "quick breads". The baking powder causes them to puff up and rise. (some use/prefer baking soda) So once you have mixed up your recipe, you need to work fast to lightly kneed the dough, and then form your "biscuits". Roll it out around 1/4 inch thick, and use a water glass dipped in flour to "cut" out your circular biscuits. If you bake them almost touching each other, they will rise higher and spread out to touch each other. If you spread them out a ways, they still rise, but remain circular. They were a classic "bread" on the old cattle drives out west - because you didn't have to wait for the "bread" to rise several times over a couple hours before baking them. They were tailor-made for making in a D/O, and gave you an easily defined "serving" size - one per cowboy (or two if cookie was feeling kind that day).

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I’ve made bread quite a few times but I’m no expert and have certainly never made it in the field, as it were. So here’s my plan...

In to a large zip lock bag, with enough oil in it to hopefully prevent the dough sticking to it too much, add most of the warm water. I figured adding the water first might make mixing in the bag a bit easier. Then add a Tesco’s bread mix (500g) and kneed in the bag – adding the extra water if necessary.

Shape into a ball with floured hands and dropped onto a oiled tinfoil pie dish which is sat on a trivet raised off the bottom of the Dutch oven – rise, bake, eat, sounds easy!

Comments on the plan please :)

Well I did what I thought I would and the preparation worked out pretty well. Kneading in the bag was easier than I thought it was going to be as was getting it out of the bag, although I think it was a bit wet. It more or less doubled in size sitting in front of the gas fire in the Dutch oven.
100_1448.jpg

I put it straight into my kitchen oven, lid on as hot as it would go (250 C) and turned it down to 230 C as per instructions. I had a look after 30 min but in the end it took about 50.

It tastes good and looks ok...
100_1452.jpg

100_1455.jpg

...it well and truly adhered to the pot in the places where it touched which makes me think it would be a nightmare to cook directly in the pot, but I would like to hear from anyone who does.

AJB

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
One of the biggest mistakes it to make too much dough - so when it rises it gets stuck all over. I prefer to make a really small amount so it does not touch the sides at all during cooking.

Oh yes - instead of a trivet you can use ceramic baking balls with an oiled bit of foil on top http://www.kitchenaria.com/Baking-Accessories/Baking-and-Roasting/kitchenware_1142.html

Your effort looks good though! Well done.

Well I did what I thought I would and the preparation worked out pretty well. Kneading in the bag was easier than I thought it was going to be as was getting it out of the bag, although I think it was a bit wet. It more or less doubled in size sitting in front of the gas fire in the Dutch oven.
100_1448.jpg

I put it straight into my kitchen oven, lid on as hot as it would go (250 C) and turned it down to 230 C as per instructions. I had a look after 30 min but in the end it took about 50.

It tastes good and looks ok...
100_1452.jpg

100_1455.jpg

...it well and truly adhered to the pot in the places where it touched which makes me think it would be a nightmare to cook directly in the pot, but I would like to hear from anyone who does.

AJB

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Or just a few dry pebbles :)

When you bake on a bed of flour or polenta, can you lift it straight out? And how easy is it to clean out?

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE