Brass containeer/tube

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Does anyone know of a source of brass (not copper or I would be off down the plumbers merchants) containers like this one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinder_Box

IE about 3 inch long and about a inch wide, wide enough for a gun flint anyway. I can sort the chain and have one of Mikes excellent oval steels. It's important that the lid is push fit as opposed to screw on and it would be good if the base was soldered on rather than stamped out.

Any pointers as to where to get one would be most gratefully received.

ATB

Tom

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Model making shops can get it for you if they don't have it in stock.
For a little while our local Wickes carried a range of brass, copper, ss and aluminium tubes and square sections.

Thing is, it comes in lengths from 60cms to 1m, not a few inches.

I can ask Joe in our local model shop if you like.

Failing that brass sheet is easily bought and it works round a brush shaft very well. That way it'd be soldered too :D

Model engineers are the folks who use the brass tubing for steam engines.

cheers,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers everyone!
I've spare oilers myself, but thanks for the offer (don't get me started, my main area of research used to be 20th century Commonwealth small arms accesories and if you think I go overboard on dips and matches you should see me on cleaning rods and chamber brushes! ;-{D) Unfortunately they are a bit narrow for what I'm after.

The local model shop used to do a good range of materials but now has gone over almost entirely to radio controlled hellicopters and cars, they hardly even do balsa now :{C).

And I have to confess to being the worlds worst solderer despite being knee deep in irons and gadgets. Your right though I should have a go at making one rather than hoping some one makes them. Saying that I've still got a microwave oven box full of Mamod parts I bought 2 years back on a boot sale and still haven't madev into anything!

Mamod01.jpg

I'll probably get a Hudsons bay type as well one day, the next time one of our Colonial cousins wants a swap most likely. I think you can get them over here now but the one I liked was over the Pond.

A group buy would be nice! Maybe have BCUK engraved on them ;{-D) I'll knock up some slim line sulphur matches in anticipation!

In the mean time I could use the brass K&M as I now only use the cut down for UK kitchen matches Ally job.

Cheers for the in put folks!

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You know there are forums about Mamod stuff ? :D

I meant the folks who build steam engines from scratch though; boiler tubes are often brass.........my brother left a just finished boiler sitting, and my houseproud wee sister in law polished it until it gleamed :D
Himself complained for months about her polishing so many psi off his biler :D :D Even the solder shone :D

cheers,
M

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
You know there are forums about Mamod stuff ? :D

I meant the folks who build steam engines from scratch though; boiler tubes are often brass.........my brother left a just finished boiler sitting, and my houseproud wee sister in law polished it until it gleamed :D
Himself complained for months about her polishing so many psi off his biler :D :D Even the solder shone :D

cheers,
M

I did not know that.

I just saw a big box of bits and thought, I bet I could make at least one engine out of them, dragged it home on a bus with three kids in tow, bagged them up, took a pic and bunged the lot in a couple of storage boxes.

For all I know the mice could have had off with them to build siege engines...

Jeeze I could bankrupt myself in that modelmaking shop, all that nice shiny stuff!

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Saw some K&S brass sheet in a modelling stall at a airshow on Sunday so bought a small sheet of what seems a suitable gauge.

I'm just waiting to hear back from my friends the tinsmiths for some advice.

I'm thinking of turning a section of car boot rolling pin down to the correct size to make the former for the body and cap, I think beech will be hard enough, not that I've got anything else to hand that's seasoned.

More when I have got somewhere!

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Tom, can you not just curve it over any suitably smooth rod? Think in terms of scrolling a piece of iron over the edge of the anvil. Take a look at what the chap says in this excellent article: http://www.northwestjournal.ca/XVI1645.htm

Hi Matt
cheers for the excellent link. Not decided how best to do it yet so its articles like that I'm after. Also I need to invest in a decent iron, mine are only wimpy jobs foe electronics.

Luckily Ive lots of tools collected up like hide mallets and a tinmans hammer bought on a whim cos it was unused, sheffield made and cheap! I knew it would come in handy one day.

Sadly I have a pic from when I last had a sesh' grinding and polishing faces etc.

Hammers1.jpg

ATB

tom

Forager
Jun 16, 2008
North East
Tom I've got some 1" diameter 1/8th wall thickness brass tube in work if you're interested?
If you want some drop me a pm and I'll pop a bit in the post.

ATB

shovel reccy

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
cambridge
do you not know anyone with a lathe then you can nock one up out of some brass bar stock. just ask around some enginereing firms should be able to get some for peasnuts.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers for all the input!

Next one, where to get "period" as opposed to cheap jewellery quality brass chain?

I dare saw I could make short lenghts, if I had some more info on 18th/19th C fine chain. Sounds like a fiddly job but don't fancy sweatshop hand made stuff, which would otherwise be ideal.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE