Do I need button compass.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Interesting.

You could always just ask someone when you get out the station?!! Or ask in a shop?!!!!

Standard fare in a town/city used to be 'excuse me mate, do you know where ....'

Preferable - and more social - than pulling a Silva out of your pocket 2 yards from John Lewis!!!

What is the world coming to.....

I suffer with crippling Social Anxiety, amongst other things, and just wouldn't be able to ask a stranger for directions. Is it ok then for me to have a mini compass to consult as and when I like?

MountainGoat

Tenderfoot
Nov 1, 2016
Scotland
I suffer with crippling Social Anxiety, amongst other things, and just wouldn't be able to ask a stranger for directions. Is it ok then for me to have a mini compass to consult as and when I like?

Mate, you can do what you want.

Navigation upon leaving a tube station is possibly the most unexpected use I've ever heard for a button compass.

I genuinely think a number of folks here are having a laugh. And accusing someone who disagrees/offers an alternate viewpoint as being a troll is very defeatist. Especially when good points have been made.

By all means buy a compass for navigation upon leaving the tube station. I'm laughing my ar*e off here at the ridiculousness of it.

Mods - ban away if you wish. This is hilarious!!

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
WARNING

bought one from these on the beginning of the month took my money and nothing sent

http://www.survivaldepot.co.uk/product/sere_compass

emailed them no reply

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I used one of those watch strap compasses while exploring New York. Not really accurate, but enough to tell you which way is "uptown" and stop you inadvertently wandering into an area not recommended for tourists.
Our host told us that muggers often target tourists and advised us not to look at maps on the move. The compass was ideal as it just looked like I was checking the time.

Z

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I am sure people would laugh if they see somebody using a compass in a city. Those people are the same people that needs to be rescued from the British hills when it starts raining.

But I have to confess, I am not sure how I would react if I saw somebody using a GPS instead of a compass and charts in nature while on a several day trek.
Cry? Laugh? Band my head against nearest tree?

I would never buy a chea**** compass. A compass is a tool that might be needed for survival. If you need one so badly that you need a spare one because the main one is broken, that means you are in deep poo poo.
If you need a button compass, get one of the small Silva models.
Personally I would get a normal Silva, a simpler model than the main one.

Why go with a button compass?
In an unknown city I roughly memorise the place. Look in a map and plsn while I sit is a cafe. Good ice breaker with the locals.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
WARNING

bought one from these on the beginning of the month took my money and nothing sent

http://www.survivaldepot.co.uk/product/sere_compass

emailed them no reply

It's a business operated from a bedroom Mike, his unreliability has come into question before. I tend to use edcgear instead.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I would not be too quick to criticize anybody who feels more confident with a compass, anywhere, than without one.
Lots of people don't have a well-developed sense of direction. Most find little need to admit it. What's it to ya?
Buy a regular Silva plate. In a closed hand, you look like you are messing with an iPhone.

robur

May 15, 2016
UK/Middle East
Hi Bigmonster. "Do you need a button compass?" Perhaps. More to the point is do you want one? If so get it! Why not? Apart from orienteering or surveying purposes how many of us have actually needed a compass in extremis? Not too many I'll guess . yes there are times whereby it is better to have one than not. In the mountains when fog comes in is a good example, or wild-fowling on the foreshore (don't forget the tide-tables and have a decent watch with you!)

Mostly (but not always of course)we can get away without a compass. I spend 3/4s of the year in the Sultanate of Oman and spend my spare time exploring the vast wild places here or out at sea fishing. In 10 years I have never actually needed a compass. would I be without one? Never. The Sun is good enough. Even 60 miles offshore the Sun is as good (probably better) than a boat compass, provided you have a way of telling local time. (a quality waterproof analogue watch for example. and the easily learned knowledge of how to use it with in conjunction with the Sun.

Night navigation of course means no Sun but there are many other ways to find your way when the Sun has set . I heartily recommend Tristan Gooley's marvellous book "The Natural Navigator". It is well worth a read.

Compasses. I have a number of them. They are great items to have and enjoy. Do you need one? That is down to you but like I say if you want one get it!

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
You're a big boy and you don't need our permission if you want one!!
I would stay away from those two you were looking at. Suunto or Silva are the only makes I look at.
They both do button compasses.

Recta make pretty good compasses too, Although the compass / thermometer one I use as a zip pull on my rucksack pocket has been mistaken as a ‘Rectal’ thermometer 😳

A5A1CC5C-8B4D-4ECF-87CD-644008B60362.jpg

SiWhite

Nomad
Apr 1, 2007
Deepest North Hampshire
You should go for it OP if you fancy one. I have a Suunto button compass on a short lanyard on my field bag which I use out and about. I find it useful for double checking when I am practising natural navigation - I'll read a few natural clues and form an opiion about which direction I'm facing, and then check with the button compass. It is so light that it can live on the bag permanently, unlike my baseplate compass which only comes out on certain occasions.

For navigation in cities (particularly in residential areas) I will determine two things on arrival - the direction that any clouds are blowing and the direction that the satellite dishes are pointing. Both should remain fairly consistent, and can help orientate you faster than a compass check...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE