Brambles, masses of beautifully ripe and sweet brambles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's September, and the weather is lovely, and we are awash with brambles/ blackberries here. The canes are dripping with big rich dark heavy juicy fruits, and so far not a sign of worms.
I am running out of ideas to use them though.

So, suggestions please ? :)
What do you make with brambles ?

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
We had a bumper crop this year, so much so that we made bramble jelly and apple and bramble jam at the weekend. Nothing too imaginative I'm afraid but I love bramble jelly and it saves me buying any jam for the next year!

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
It's September, and the weather is lovely, and we are awash with brambles/ blackberries here. The canes are dripping with big rich dark heavy juicy fruits, and so far not a sign of worms.
I am running out of ideas to use them though.

So, suggestions please ? :)
What do you make with brambles ?
Maybe fruit leather would be a good one?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We had a bumper crop this year, so much so that we made bramble jelly and apple and bramble jam at the weekend. Nothing too imaginative I'm afraid but I love bramble jelly and it saves me buying any jam for the next year!

I love the smell of bramble jelly making :) It's one of those unmistakeable signs of Autumn coming on here. Usually we get fruits to pick right through until Hallowe'en.
I think they're a bit like the Autumn fruiting raspberries like that. Mine are in full flush just now, I'm picking about 400 to 500g every couple of days just now, but right up until the frosts come the canes will still be putting on fruits. Not a lot by then, but still a happy munch when I pass by.
I don't think they'd be much use as a commercial crop because they ripen two and three per twig on the canes at a time, but for a household they're a lovely bonus in the garden.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You know what it's like round here, lots of trees, lots of woodland paths and brambles beneath....they're absolutely beautiful :)
Bramble jelly, on toast, on pancakes, with cheese on fruit cakes, on scones with cream, on cheesecake, I think I still like it best on simple oatcakes though .....it's only just after three and I'm hungry thinking about it.

I made some coulis, and then froze some, and whipped it up when half way to ice, to make sorbet, and it's lovely stuff, it really is.

Reactions: JFW

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE