Bramble twine?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Just found this interesting passage about Bramble (known as 'brimble' in Devon) twine. Also about using it to extricate rabbits from their burrows

'Apart from the obvious use of the berries that actual brimbles served many purposes, firstly it was an ideal plant to have in a hedge as next to hawthorn it made an ideal stock-proof barrier. The long tendrils were also used to make twine which was often used in broom and basket making. The thorns would be removed and the tendril split and twisted, the end result was an amazingly strong length of twine. Brimble roots were crushed and used to make a yellowy-orange dye that was utilized in the wool and cloth industries. There is also an old story of how a long length of brimble would be cut and the thorns removed from all bar the last 3 - 4 inches. This was then shoved down a rabbit hole in a twisting, 'corkscrew-like' manner until it would go no further. Then with a few extra twists the brimble would be dragged out the hole with, hopefully, a rabbit that had been ensnared by the thorns on the end.

Anyone heard of this or tried making twine from bramble stems before?

The whole passage is here
http://www.legendarydartmoor.co.uk/brim_ble.htm

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I make bramble rope and it is excellent stuff. The last batch was used to make *rope* handles on baskets.
Cheers,
Toddy

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
The rabbits thing was told to me by an old gamekeeper firend when I was training many moons ago - never tried it mind. some people here have claimed success though.

Mark

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Toddy said:
I make bramble rope and it is excellent stuff. The last batch was used to make *rope* handles on baskets.
Cheers,
Toddy

Can you explain the best way to process this please toddy? Aside from the obvious, I mean best diameter to look for lengths, condition etc. Do you just trim off the thorns and then split it or use it as it is whole? Do you need to take the outer (green/purple) outer bark off or has this got fibres too? Do you need to soak it first in water etc or manipulate it (as with hazel withies) or use it as it is ? :confused:

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
What a blow. When I read the thread title I thought it said Bramble WINE. Sounds good though. Keep in touch if anyone has any success. I certainly have the rabbits here. Need to go and look for the bramble.

andy_scouser

Nov 29, 2005
Ormskirk
If anybody wants any material, im in the middle of clearing out about 15x20m patch of the garden..... im cut to ribbons, but at least ive got something to do with it all now :)

andy_scouser

Nov 29, 2005
Ormskirk
when you start your cord, dont have both strands at the same length, have one 1/3rd the length of the other, when the short one runs out, use a new strand...continue ;) also, try and use strands of similar lengths/thickness's. Cut or burn off frays when string is finished...Carefully!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE