Boy's lighting fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Disco1

Settler
Jan 31, 2015
UK
In prep for a camping week end my boy has been practising fire lighting with ferro rod, char cloth and kindling. His score is 6 for 6. Not bad going for anyone. He's becoming a right little bushcrafter.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Big well done to him, I know plenty of adults who can't do it that effectively :)

My six year old is getting good with his ferro rod but not as consistent as your lad yet, mine is also I/c wood burner lighting but like Bowlander's lad, he uses a match for that :)

Have you tried him with traditional flint and steel yet? Bet he'd master it no problem. Bit of flint and the spine of an old flat file works well for intro and practicing :)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

Disco1

Settler
Jan 31, 2015
UK
Have you tried him with traditional flint and steel yet? Bet he'd master it no problem. Bit of flint and the spine of an old flat file works well for intro and practicing :)

Cheers,

Bam. :)

Real fire steel and flint next then on to fire plough and bow drill. Made it a bit more interesting also taught him the delights of chemical fire potassium/sugar and potassium/glycol as a bit of fun.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Lol...bet he thought that was very cool :) haven't done chemical fire lighting with my boy yet but sometimes sprinkle a little magnesium powder onto his tinder so he gets what he calls a rocket fuel fire lol :)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
My lad is 16.. I set him a challenge recently of using shavings and a flint n steel. He sat there for 20 minutes trying to light it unsuccessfully... told me it was impossible. Three strikes and it was lit.

Credit to him, he asked to do it over, so I got together more shavings... he sat there for another 20 minutes. No success, but he was trying his best.

Third time lucky after lighting it again, but nope... he's still struggling with it... but my hat goes off to him because he's determined to crack it.

Congrats for your lad though... 9 years old and a 6 for 6... as has been said, either a born bushcrafter or a pyromaniac ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE