Boy to man - Weekend Graduation.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire Bushcraft - Group meeting, Easter Bank Holiday.

[video=youtube;3gOMbsKP8Vo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gOMbsKP8Vo&feature=yo utu.be[/video]
My first ever successful Bow Drill fire caught on camera. Had plenty of failure a couple of weekends back. Watch my first ever success.

Kerrie was sawing wood and I was splitting. I knocked the drill together in a few minutes in between the sawing. Didn't really think it would work. 1st attempt I got an ember then I realised I needed tinder as I might get it. 2nd time bang on the money and got it on camera too. I must say it was quite an emotional moment for me and I now feel like I achieved a milestone success. So happy, I can't describe it. More work to come to get this polished so I can do it easily.

Big thanks to Whittler Kev who showed me how to do it a couple of weeks back. Without these meetup's I would probably have not got round to trying it and if I had tried it, it would certainly have been wrong. There is nothing like being shown first hand and discussing it. les52 also showed up and had a play with the bow drill. Nice to meet you Les!

Shared camp and sleeping quarters for the weekend.

Great memories made this weekend.

13951915932_83a43dcf71.jpg

13951919102_3e649c41be.jpg

Fish no chips.

I could get into this carving. first attempt at a spoon. Quite nice too.

St George's Mushroom. Another first. I don't normally eat wild fungi but been I.D'ing for years. I am frustrated with being able to ID but not eating. Now at the point where I really should start eating them. I found these, ID'd them from memory then checked my wild food book. They matched. Cut it open and it all smelled and looked good. Fried it up, still smelled and looked good. Tasted a little and tasted good so swallowed. Waited 30 minutes and ate the rest. Absolutely delicious. No one else ate any so I had transport sorted if needed A&E also kept some in-case things went bad and Dr's needed to ID what I had eaten. So put in as much precaution as I could. I also can ID poisonous ones and it didn't match any. Had I been in any doubt I wouldn't have eaten it at all.

Bit of shelter building.

Embodiment of the wild. Such a stunning creature. To see one running through the wood and not make a sound is an incredible sight.

The Fens can be an incredible sight too.

All this Bushcraft eventually wore me out. I made some big leaps in my skills this weekend. Hop you can join us next time!

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Great stuff mate! I cracked the bow drill only a few weeks ago with a set I made the same day, it's a smashing feeling! :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think I floated six inches off the ground for the rest of the day the first time I managed it myself :D
I can make most things, but I hadn't ever made fire from scratch.

Congratulations :D it looks like it was a cracker of a weekend :D

Nice write up and photos too :approve:

Thank you for sharing :D

cheers,
Toddy

Repperz

Feb 3, 2014
Tonbridge area..
Almost inspirational work with the bow drill fire mate - I'm still trying! Out of interest, what kind of woods did you make the drill and board out of?

And thanks for the report, looks like a good weekend.

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Used dried willow. So dried it was the consistency of cork pretty much and weighed next to nothing. So the bow drill plowed through it pretty quickly. I want to be practicing this a lot more and experimenting!
Thanks for the tutorial Kev!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE