Bows from Hungary (Archery)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
I've been looking at this type of Bow.

>> http://www.traditionalbowshop.com/18-viking-bow.html

And wondered if anyone had bought a Bow from Hungary and what they thought of it ??

How good are bows made in Hungary ?? are they as good as any other ?? has anyone had any problems with one etc ??

I have asked at the Archery Club I go to, and all I seem to get are negative answers every though no one has ever seen or bought one.

I much prefer the look of the Viking Longbow over the English Longbow, They look a lot thicker so will this make them slower ??

Thanks in Advance

MickT

Morrolan

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2010
Chorley, Lancashire
I used to do Viking reenactment and I've shot various types of bow over the years, both traditional and modern compounds and recurves. Viking bows we used were largely made of Yew, and are a bloody good shoot! Even now if I had to choose a traditional bow, I'd buy a Viking bow in a heart beat over all others.

We used to make our own (or shall we say, various members used to make them) but we used to shoot 30 - 35lb draw weight and I always felt it maybe slightly underpowered.

I can't say that it was thick - the Yew bows we used were extremely light and when we had a play and trained, we used to skirmish with bows from within rivers and treetops and allsorts so I wouldn't agree that they're either thick or heavy?

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
Thanks Morrolan

I read somewhere they were slow and were only any good at very high draw weights .

I would be looking at 45lb at the most .

I will now have to have a serious look round and see what is available.

We have an Ash Tree in the garden, but I've been told to leave it alone.

I presume know one has bought a Bow from an Hungarian Bowyer, either that or they are not willing to admit it.

MickT

Green Weasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2010
West Sussex
About ten years ago I was at a craft fair and an English chap and his Hungarian wife were trying to selli short recurved bows apparently made by her family. Though incorporating modern materials they were finished with leather fittings that gave a traditional appearance and I was sorely tempted to buy one . As we were in a village hall I felt it unwise to let a few arrows loose but the bows had a good feel . The price at the time was £130 . I've since seen similar in the Quick's Catalogue for a heck of a lot more than that . Whilst I'm quite happy with my home -made and embarassingly rustic efforts I do regret missing what I reckon was a great bargain !

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I just dont like the deflexed tips, they just look a bit strange. Also the added weight of those tips cant helps with cast??
The workmanship looks good and osage i beleive is a great bow wood.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
If your local club is like most GNAS based clubs you'll negative responses about any bow that isn't a compound or recurve bow laden with weights, sights and other paraphernalia that makes a bow looks like it can't be shot without the aid of a laptop.

The bows look rather nice and I'm told shoot well. I think a big problem you'll have is finding someone familiar enough with a very different shooting style to teach you.

Best of luck though.

To me, the Hungarian bow looks quite similar to the Mongolian bow, I understand that was fairly effective as a weapon! :)

Al

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE