Bowmaking question - wood size

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
I'm thinking of making a bow, got a nice piece of Ash all seasoned from a friend along with a load of Hazel for carving and stickmaking. Thing is I've never made anything like this before so I'm not sure if my Ash is going to be thick enough. I'm thinking flat or longbow, whichever will work best from the wood I have.

What diameter would you say is the smallest you could use, and what would be the best size? Which side is best for the belly, outer or inner rings? Is there a good online tutorial for a flatbow anyone can point me at?

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Bow making is a very complex craft, i'd suggest you buy some books on it first. I hightly recomend the 'traditional bowyers bible' books. also there is an excellent archery forum at www.paleoplanet.net they would surely help you out

I reccoment making a flatbow to start. this design can be more forgiving. Have the outside surface of the tree as the back of your bow, keep this wood pristine and be carefull not to damage it

A flat bow can be only about 1.5" wide

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Paleo planet is a wonderful source of information.

You want to make the bow at least your own height to start with. The longer the bow the more wood there is to deal with the stress. Thickness wise i would go for atleast the width of your forearm. You can make bows from smaller diameter wood but with ash its best to be a little wider. Once you split and de-bark (very carefully) the wood just under the bark is the back of your bow. I agree with jon r that a flat bow is easier to tiller if your just starting out.

This is an ash flat bow i made a while back.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40292&highlight=dwardo+bow

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE