Bowdrill slippery string

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
I set up a bow drill using hemp string but it keeps slipping on the spindle. Does anyone have a cure?
I tried bows both with and without tension.
I know I can change string but I have a lot of this string and we use it for other stuff as well since it's biodegradable.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
One alternative way of mounting the drill is to use the "egyptian wrap".

This just means that the cordage is a slightly longer/looser length to begin with, then you wrap it around the drill at least two or three times. It doesn't have to be taught or locked in, and that should give enough bite for it to work.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Try making a twisted length (like nettle cordage a length twisted against itself) or a braid to allow for a more grippy string. No idea if it'll work as I've never tried it - just seems sensible that it'd work.

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
Thanks all.
I wrap twice but will try 3 or 4 times. I try not to put too much pressure but will keep it in mind. Maybe it's just a matter of practice.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I was taught to pinch the string against the bow whilst bowing to increase the bite on the drill. Works well.
If I have not explained that properly I will try again.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I was taught to pinch the string against the bow whilst bowing to increase the bite on the drill. Works well.
If I have not explained that properly I will try again.

A technique I always use too. Basically I hold the bow and string at the same time in my right hand and can adjust the tension in the string by tightening and relaxing my hand.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Rough up the surface of your spindle - I just drag my saw blade over the surface a couple of times just to raise the grain if the cord starts slipping ... works for me!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Rough up the surface of your spindle - I just drag my saw blade over the surface a couple of times just to raise the grain if the cord starts slipping ... works for me!

I always leave the bark on my drills for the same reason. I tend to use hazel so it is straight already.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE