Bow strings?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drowso

Jun 9, 2013
Leicester, UK
If you've made your own bow, what would you recommend using as a bow string? I've been thinking about some of the strands from inside paracord?

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
Nope, that is much too stretchy. You dont have a consistent brace height at all. Brownells B50 is a common choice, Somac or Barbour linen thread is a natural material option.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Nope, that is much too stretchy. You dont have a consistent brace height at all. Brownells B50 is a common choice, Somac or Barbour linen thread is a natural material option.

Seconded. B50 is just over a tenner for a spool and will make a bucket load of strings. Buying them in gets expensive as you start making more bows.
I have tried linen strings but they wear fast and its harder and harder to buy decent quality linen these days.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Remember if your bow string fails there is a good chance you can kiss goodbye to your bow.

I generally use 8 stands of dacron B50 giving a breaking strain of 400lbs.

I also make Bow strings out of linen and hemp.

Nettle can also make an acceptable bow string if you have the time to prepare it properly.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Seconded. B50 is just over a tenner for a spool and will make a bucket load of strings. Buying them in gets expensive as you start making more bows.
I have tried linen strings but they wear fast and its harder and harder to buy decent quality linen these days.

What he said!

I'm on with the Flemish Twist strings, a bit more work but you can make your own jig and not the expensive options of the endless loop jigs (cheap ones aren't worth a poop) Flemish look prettier too, give that a coat of looking at

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Interesting one, would dental floss(multiple strands)be any good ?

Rob

I seem to remember someone trying. I think it would take a lot of strands to be sure of breaking strain and probably end up costing more than a bit of dacron.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Dacron is cheap.......... start playing with fastflights and lots of pretty colours, then it gets expensive!

You could even get a cheap ready made one if you know (and they actually make one in) the right length.

franglais

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2013
France
I usually use nylon string when making the kids Hazel bows, however last year I ran out one day but managed to find an old clothes line, the plastic coated steel type, the bow we made was for a twelve year old so it was a decent size, usually I test the bow by shooting towards the woods and the arrow always falls short of the trees, as soon as I pulled I knew it was going to be a flyer, but I was shocked at how far the arrow went, We never found it, I decided that having a group of kids running around with bows that could shoot like that might not be a good thing, had to head off to the shop for some string, the youngster was not happy when I changed strings. The downside to using this type of clothes line is that it's impossible to get a tidy loop.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE