bow stave????

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
whats the best sort of wood to work with, its my first bow and i dont want to make it hard on myself...

also whats the best designe/shape to use, a simple round shape or flat or mix between the 2??????

id like it to be a nice strong bow that could be used for hunting, i have long arms so at a guess 32-34 inches would be the max pull length.....

any help most welcome...

regards.

chris.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
What ever you can get hold of i guess is the quick answer.
Think dead straight, over 70 inch, 4 inch diameter or more. Your draw seems a little long, how tall are you? Average draw tends to be about 28inch.
Draw weight isnt as much a factor as you would think, efficiency by design is more important, you can have a bow thats 100lbs but transfers so little energy to the arrow a 40lbs bow will put an arrow in the right place with more energy.
Let me know what wood you can get hold off and we can go from there, think ash, elm, cherry, its more the individual bit of wood rather than species.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
What ever you can get hold of i guess is the quick answer.
Think dead straight, over 70 inch, 4 inch diameter or more. Your draw seems a little long, how tall are you? Average draw tends to be about 28inch.
Draw weight isnt as much a factor as you would think, efficiency by design is more important, you can have a bow thats 100lbs but transfers so little energy to the arrow a 40lbs bow will put an arrow in the right place with more energy.
Let me know what wood you can get hold off and we can go from there, think ash, elm, cherry, its more the individual bit of wood rather than species.

im 6" 2 and have long arms mate, i know the length i said was a bit much but 32" cant be far off...

as for wood its a case of go and buy some, i have no wood to gather as i have no permision......i will have to see what i can get from B&Q or a saw mill....

is we or dry wood best????

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
of course bow hunting in this country is against the law, i do plan to try it in America when i go over though, if i can get to the required standard that is....

So we're talking around 5 years going by your marksman results...lol..

(I've no smilies on this iPad thingymajig?)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE