Bow Stave Prep (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hello all,

I've lurked here for a couple years and finally decided to post some stuff. I am always inspired to do new things after checking out all the good stuff here. I mainly work in wood and leather but try some things with bone, antler, textiles, etc. This is some great show-and-tell.

I'm a bow-maker and wilderness fanatic in the western US. I recently prepped a bunch of bow staves for a bow, string, and arrow class I was teaching. This saves a lot of time for people who are not familiar with wood. I also can select out the best stuff to save problems for novice bowmakers.

dsc_0207.jpg

I use a froe and axe for much of my work. These are "old fashioned" but work faster and respect the grain of the wood in a way not possible on the table saw. It's actually faster as well.
dsc_0223.jpg

These were split both radially and front-to-back to maximize the large trunk size of this particular tree.
dsc_0212.jpg

Debarking with a draw knife. A sharp draw knife is a joy to work with.
dsc_0218.jpg

This is about half the staves I prepped one afternoon for the class.
100_0109.jpg

A participant in the class. There were six and all the bows turned out to be successful in the end.

I stupidly didn't take any photos of the finished class. It got so busy at the end.
Here are a few photos from the last few years. Many others were made and sold without photos but I try to remember more these days.

dscn1570.jpg

Osage orange and hickory of various designs.

dsc_0075.jpg

An Osage "longbow" for my teenage daughter.

archery.jpg

A very snaky Osage bow made several years ago. I liked this on a lot.

0310_2.jpg

A juniper kid's bow backed with hickory for safety. You can't start too young.

0653.jpg

A pretty typical hickory flatbow hunter. My typical design. This one is sold but I still regularly shoot its twin made from the same tree.

I put some archery and other stuff I make on my blog at http://paleotool.wordpress.com if you are interested.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
is there any chance of a few pics of the wooden caravan/trailer on the back fo you 4x4 please, or i think you would call it a truck.?

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
lovely work.Thanks for sharing that with us.
I've always fancied making a bow so I may give it a whirl having been inspired.
Cheers , Simon

Thanks! I'll show some more as I get them photographed. I am making a commission for a friend right now and hope to finish it off this weekend. I'm behind on bowstrings so that is holding things up as well. Since this has become a sort of show-and-tell for bows, here are a few others, all sold now, on my barter blanket at a primitive tech gathering in Arizona a few years back.
1421_2.jpg

The second from the front is Osage orange, backed with thin deer rawhide. The other three are shagbark hickory.

Most are linen, but I have made a few from some very fine, commercially spun hemp I bought from a weaver. She had it for an historic project and didn't ever plan to use it again. The linen I currently use is Barbours 5 cord left but for a long time I used some heavier waxed lined I bought years ago. I am currently experimenting with some bookbinders linen thread because it comes in interesting colors. I don't know the quality, as far as longevity but, so far, it seems promising although a bit more expensive.

treebloke

Tenderfoot
Most are linen, but I have made a few from some very fine, commercially spun hemp I bought from a weaver. She had it for an historic project and didn't ever plan to use it again. The linen I currently use is Barbours 5 cord left but for a long time I used some heavier waxed lined I bought years ago. I am currently experimenting with some bookbinders linen thread because it comes in interesting colors. I don't know the quality, as far as longevity but, so far, it seems promising although a bit more expensive.

I will be attempting to make a bow during the summer and I think I have around it but my main concern is the drawstring. Is it possible to simply buy one made to length.

There are plenty of people who will make one for you and fairly inexpensive too. Its worthwhile with a hand made bow to learn to tie one end in a timber hitch and have the other as a closed loop. That way you can adjust it as necessary. Any primitive archer should be able to show you this.

After making a couple hundred bows I can tell you; bow making is easy, strings and great arrows are hard work.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Welcome, I'd very like to make my own shoes like you do. The hunt for the 'barefoot' shoe is quite popular with a few member around here. I'll be checking the site often!

There is a lot of interest in the shoes. I didn't post all my failures! Getting the fit just right is much harder than I ever would have thought. Then absolute symmetry. I think I've got it down now and plan to make a few pair in the near future for friends. I'll photograph and post as much as I can.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE