Bow saw blades....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
Am looking to make a bow saw sometime in the near future, however i will be aiming for a "mini" one. Can anyone suggest a make and perhaps supplier of blades that would be in the region of around 12 - 15 inches?

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
I've got a couple of broken bandsaw blades that I can cut some bits off. They are 1/2" and 3/8" wide - not the huge industrial ones. They usually get recycled in my old wooden bowsaw. They are 8TPI I think. PM me if you'd like a few bits.

Or you could use a coarse hacksaw blade...

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
warthog1981 said:
I could cut down a 21inch bow saw blade and drill it for you ?
Thanks for the offer Warthog but Bent-Stick is sending me up some band saw blade off cuts. I could have cut down a 21inch blade myself if i'd have given it a thought (doh), but i was really interested in locating a 12" blade.

The Bahco website list a complete 15inch Bow Saw but no replacement blades for it ??. What prompted my quest was the sight of a lovely 12" bow saw at a car boot sale on Sunday, had i had more money than sense i'd have probably invested in it (£15), as it is, i have the skills, the tools and the know how to make one for myself, i just don't have a 12" blade :(.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I'm curious as to need for a 12 inch bow saw. If not for fine tooth wood work or hack saw work then what would you do with it? I usually break anything under 2 inch if it is for firewood.

I'm working on some 36" fold up bow saws. Already have orders for three. :D

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
weaver said:
I'm curious as to need for a 12 inch bow saw. If not for fine tooth wood work or hack saw work then what would you do with it? I usually break anything under 2 inch if it is for firewood.

I'm working on some 36" fold up bow saws. Already have orders for three. :D
I've yet to really figure out the optimum length that i need, be it 12 or 15 inch. 12" seemed a nice starting point as i know for definate that when disassembled the blade would fit into my pack, whereas the 15" would be just a touch too long.

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Bhod,

I would say that with bowsaws, bigger is better! Well up to a certain point anyway, I would say a 30" or 36" saw makes a good general purpose one...

And £15 for a 12" secondhand sounds a lot unless it was one of those fancy wooden framed ones...

Go down to Woolies or Wilkies and get a cheap 30" one..once the blade goes, then invest in a better quality blade...There is nothing really in the frame to warrent spending lots on, so I always end up putting a good quality blade in about the cheapest frame I can find...

whoops, just seen the bit where you want to put it in your pack...you can still pack a longer blade by carefully rolling it up and putting it in a round tin...inside a billy would be ideal...

Regards,

Pete

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Could you just bend it in a U shape to follow the bottom outline of your pack then a 24 or 30 inch blade would easily fit and there are many options for a frame. I could design a 36 inch frame that takes down to 20 or less. A 24 inch frame could take down to less than 15.

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
Pete E said:
And £15 for a 12" secondhand sounds a lot unless it was one of those fancy wooden framed ones...
Although it was a wooden frame there was nothing fancy about it. It did look well made and solid in construction though, the joints where tight, no marks or blemishes on the untreated "reddish" coloured wood, the blade looked as though it was unused but i couldn't see a makers mark on it anywhere. Anyways was too rich for my blood :D.

Go down to Woolies or Wilkies and get a cheap 30" one..once the blade goes, then invest in a better quality blade...There is nothing really in the frame to warrent spending lots on, so I always end up putting a good quality blade in about the cheapest frame I can find...
That's what prompted my original question, trying to find a recogmised "name" like Sandvik, Bahco or Spear and Jackson who will do a blade this length, rumour has it Stanley do one but i've not been able to track one down yet and am unsure of the quality of their blades.

Many thanks for the replies, ideas and advice so far chaps it's really appreciated.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE