Bow Making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
I've noticed that there is quite a few bow makers on here.. I was just wondering, is there anyone who would do a step by step guide on how to make a flatbow. I can't seem to find one on here and most of the video's on youtube don't give enough detail or aren't flatbows. I have a question aswell, once you've picked your piece of wood, barked it etc, when your leaving it to dry, do you leave it just as it is or do you put the string on it first so it drys whilst in that "D" shape?

thanks
Bushcraftsman

This is something I could use as well, I'm getting really interested in making a bow , but just don't know where to start, even with woodtype or size(dimensions ) of stave for bow or even how to get /cut the stave. Even if I could get pointed in the right direction I would be happy...lol

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
hi bushcraftsman & Treeclipper

I've been on a primitive bow-making course, but I do not feel I have enough experience to try and teach someone else from scratch. I’ve still got to try and sort out problems with my first bow; I made a stupid mistake and have potentially ruined what would have been a good bow…time will tell.

One thing I am reasonably sure of regarding your project is; DO NOT STRING THE BOW UP (i.e leave it strung up) WHILST IT IS SEASONING.

The people on these two websites are extremely knowledgeable;

http://www.sptradarch.org/

www.spearthroweruk.net/default.aspx

Most of them also shoot at NFAS field shoots.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
, once you've picked your piece of wood, barked it etc, when your leaving it to dry, do you leave it just as it is or do you put the string on it first so it drys whilst in that "D" shape?

thanks
Bushcraftsman

A bow does not want to be a D shape without the string attached. It wants to be staight. Or bent away from the string for recurve's..

Leave it debarked and seal the ends with glue or paint to stop it splitting as it dries.

Or rough the shape out while its wet but leave it slightly oversize so its still good when it dries and if it warps or twists you have room to play with.

You do not sting it until you have finished it to the best you can, keeping the limbs even. Then you tiller it.

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
I think it maybe possible to speed up the drying process by splitting up a suitable piece of wood into rough staves. But, put it this way, I have a piece of YEW which I have sealed the cut ends with and it has been left un-split in my shed for a few months now and it’ll stay there for a few more months before I think about splitting it.

On the one hand have a go, but on the other, be aware that you can ruin a nice bit of wood, waste a lot of time and/or hurt yourself by rushing this project.

There are some really good books on the subject, including the ‘Bowyers Bible’ series.

No doubt someone with a bit more experience than me will contribute to this thread shortly.

Have fun.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Gentlemen...Please...Enough....I've been making bows for some years now, and you're confusing me.

Very simple place to start is here...

http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/6222/t/YOUR-FIRST-WOODEN-BOW.html

Keep it simple, and don't get too hung up on the esoteric nature of bowmaking history. Any wood will make a bow (some better than others) you just need to follow a few basic principles. When you have mastered those, you can start to believe the mysticism...

good luck...and enjoy

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
PS....the D is the cross section of the traditional ELB not its Compass tiller.

If I get a chance tomorrow I will try and post a step by step. I may have enough photos kicking about to illustrate the process.

My apologies,didn't mean to rant :)

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
The D represents the shape of the bow if you were to cut it in half (a cross section).The flat bit of the D represents the BACK of the bow (ie the bit facing away from you) and the curved bit is the belly of the bow (ie the bit facing you). Unlike the traditional "flat" or "pyramid" bow shapes which have a rectangular cross section.

Compass tiller is a near perfect arc.

Clear as mud...:theyareon

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
How would I do things such as splitting wood etc with just things such as a knife and saw etc

As long as you have a decent knife (and can use it safely) By decent knife I mean something like a Frosts Mora; you can carve out a bow with no problem.

Don't worry about chopping down trees or splitting staves. All you need is a reasonably straight Hazel branch 1 1/2 - 2" thick by 5ft long. While it is still green (ie when you have just cut it) remove the bark by scraping the knife along the length of the stave, taking care not to dig into the actual wood.

When you have all the bark removed you need to find the centre of the bow and make a pencil mark. Then make 2 more marks 3" either side of the centre mark (this will be your handle and will remain full thickness when drying out.

You now need to look at the stave and decide which is the "back" and which is the "belly". The less knots on the back the better as this is where the bow will break when under tension (drawn).

With your very sharp knife (and First Aid Kit to hand) you need to reduce the belly side of the bow until it is half the thickness you start with. Make sure you take the wood off the same on both limbs (the stave either side of your handle). At this point do not attempt to bend the bow or make the limbs narrower.

Then put it to one side on a flat surface and leave for 2-3 weeks in your bedroom under the bed (or wherever) to dry out.

When you get this far I can post the next installment...

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
This is roughly the shape you should end up with when you put it to one side to dry.

crosssection.jpg

Note the centre six inches is full thickness

handlesection.jpg

The remainder of the limbs are half thickness (give or take).

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Any wood will make a bow (some better than others) you just need to follow a few basic principles.

I would just like to say on the subject of appropriate woods for bowmaking. I've only made two bows so far, one was made from Ash on a bowmaking course and the other was made from Willow at home. The second one is much, much weaker, very short and twisted but it does heft an arrow and was good practice. So from that limited experience I'd say stovie is right.

My next bow will be hazel and this thread is looking extremely useful.

Boston973

Feb 3, 2009
Mass
I have tried my hand at a few bows now. Out of the three I have made the first two broke and the third came out with a # 20 pull. So i am no expert. Now that that is said these are the best books on Bowery I have found. Here is a link.

http://www.boisdarcpress.com/BoisdarcPressbooks.html

Also if you are looking for really nice build alongs i would check out The Bowyers Den. There servers are down right now but they have a huge number of buildalongs. I beleave its run by Bowstick Archery.
http://www.bowstick.com/storefront/
They sell a bunch of U finish bows. The u finish or bow kits coem in all forms wether is just a stave or all thats left is the tillering. I have been trying to convince the wife to let me get one of there horse bow kits.
http://www.bowstick.com/storefront/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19_27&products_id=644

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
The TBBs are indeed a fantastic source of info, but at the begining can present a lot of unessesary facts. What is needed at the start of a process is a simple how to. The rest can follow later, because once bitten by the bug, the thirst for that extra performance takes hold...and that is when the TBBs come into their own...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE