Bow drill troubles :(

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 27, 2015
Pembroke
Hi all got a few problems with my bow drill setup. I have tried endless times with different cordage but it keeps snapping. I've tried paracord, jute, sizal, bank line even electric fence wire and nothing works. I get a smoldering and just the beginnings of an ember and bang string snaps every time. Getting annoyed with it now, where am I going wrong?

Sent from my SM-G110H using Tapatalk

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've had that problem a few times and found that a couple times the drill was a bit too narrow, making it a bit chunkier seemed to solve the problem.

The other time it seemed to be carp string but doubling it up helped with that.

Now, were I to try it again, I'd use pull motor starter cord. That stuff is designed to rub over part and has a high wear resistance making it ideal for bow drills.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Have you considered it could be the drills problem? What are you using? If there is a nobble (scientific that) on the side the. It could be weakening the cord, hence the snapping.

Jan 3, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Where is the breakage occurring... at the point of contact with Drill, or point of contact with Bow. Also could just be a technique issue. Also Drill prep issue.

Paracord should be good enough, it really should.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
I use a flat leather lace, 3/8" wide x 24" long. It's pearl grey horse hide and is anchored to a straight 1/2" x 20" bamboo stave. With the lace tied off and wrapped around the spindle there is a very slight bow of the stave. Nice long strokes, I find that the flat lace grips the spindle better and transfers motion consistently. I also slice flats on the spindle for more non slipping contact. My top bearing is a deer antler fob that has a dimple in one side (for spindle) and I have made a pendant of it so that I always have it around my neck. Nice easy long strokes, getting faster and slightly more pressure as the strokes are used. Enjoy!

Dec 27, 2015
Pembroke
Have you considered it could be the drills problem? What are you using? If there is a nobble (scientific that) on the side the. It could be weakening the cord, hence the snapping.
I'm using sycamore drill and hearth there is a few nobbles will find a smoother piece and try again :)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Try willow on willow and don't be afraid to dry it out a bit first until you get your technique down. Also, make sure your hearth board isn't too thick.

Dec 27, 2015
Pembroke
Where is the breakage occurring... at the point of contact with Drill, or point of contact with Bow. Also could just be a technique issue. Also Drill prep issue.

Paracord should be good enough, it really should.
It's breaking at the drill. I'll try with different materials only ever used a fire steel or matches to light my fires. But seeing as I have stuck to the same skills for 20 years I thought it was about time I learned some new ones so very much a novice at this :)

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
Hmm, I just tried my first ever bow drill, and it worked, I used paracord as well, but I did lots of research before I attempted it, a few things I picked up:
1. Make sure string not too tight
2. Make sure bearing block works well, this will reduce resistance and speed up time to get an ember ( I use a skateboard bearing in a block of wood)
3. Make sure the drill has no sharp edges from sticks that you have shaved off

Keep trying though, when it works it felt like magic!

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
I am firmly in the group saying paracord should be fine. I've used the same bow/paracord to demo this technique many times in a day, with others using my bow too. With one go it shouldn't even get fluffy! However, I realise that is no help to you... What about doubling the paracord as suggested above? That would be my best guess to tide you over. Once you get the hang of it I suspect the matter will solve itself. Keep trying and let us know when you succeed; Shelley is right, it is pure sorcery the first time, and every time afterwards.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
is it just a case of the cord is wearing through or is it that the cord seems to be getting pinched or heating up at all? I've never really had a problem with cordage breaking, if you're using the whole length of the bow and a nice smooth movement it could be the way you're turning the spindle into the bow/string, is your spindle in between the string and the bow, or on the outside of the string? It could be that if the bow is quite flat you're rubbing that on the cord trapping it between the spindle and the bow and wearing it quickly, if it's on the outside and your technique is ok i'm surprised it keeps doing it.

If there's a meet near you it's probably worth popping along so that you can see how others are doing it.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I have only tried the bow drill a couple of times, but it strikes me that often the drill was too slender to get a good grip with the string. A fatter drill will have more string contact to transfer the energy being put in with the bow. The other thing that I have also heard mentioned as a tip is to wax the string/cord that is being used, preferably with beeswax, to avoid string on string wear. Worth a go.

JulesC

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2011
Midlands
If the cord is snapping in the middle then it must be rubbing against something. Probably against itself or the drill. If its the drill its slipping so pull it tighter, get a stiffer bow to pull against. If the cord is wearing because its rubbing against itself you need to keep your bow-stroke more horizontal so the wrap-around runs parallel to the returned wrap (especially if you wrap it twice).
Considering the different materials you've used I'd speculate that your bow stroke is a bit "up & down" causing it to cross and rub against itself.....guessing from your description.

Hope that helps and if you can post a video that'll help as the cords you've listed should all work well enough.

Good luck :)

Forgot to add - a thinner drill increases the load - larger diameter reduces the wear. Go bigger!

Edited: owing to authors senile dementia.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE