First try with a bow drill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TomH

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2013
South Derbyshire
I did it.

So chuffed.

Birch spindle, birch hearth, birch tinder, birch kindling and birch fuel all from one dead bough, which is what I wanted to achieve. I used an oak bearing block with spit and dandelion lube and a piece of curved buddleia and paracord for the bow.

Thank you to everyone for their help and advice, its really appreciated and some of the little tweeks and tips were invaluable.

For any other folk trying it for the first time the main learning points for me were body posture (see the vid posted by Niels), carving the top and bottom of the spindle correctly, ensuring I burn in well enough before cutting the notch and then going steady for long enough before going full effort, which in itself needs to be controlled rather than just hammering it.

Now to practice, practice, practice because once I feel I own this skill its on to the hand drill

Thanks again all.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Nice one, well done!

My usual wood combination is hazel on hazel but I have never tried birch on birch; interesting that you used it as a "one stop shop".

It's a great sense of acheivement isn't it?

TomH

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2013
South Derbyshire
Nice one, well done!

My usual wood combination is hazel on hazel but I have never tried birch on birch; interesting that you used it as a "one stop shop".

It's a great sense of acheivement isn't it?

Yeah, the 'one stop shop' was definitely my aim and birch is everywhere around my local area.
I found this,

http://paulkirtley.co.uk/2011/bowdrill/

originally posted by Niels, really helpful and birch is recommended for training with.

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
Well done TomH, its a great feeling eh? Now, when you start the hand drill, just remember, you are unlikley to get results in double quick time without BIG blisters. Take it slow and build up. get your hands in condition by practising several times a week and by stopping before you get sore. All the best.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Well done TomH, its a great feeling eh? Now, when you start the hand drill, just remember, you are unlikley to get results in double quick time without BIG blisters. Take it slow and build up. get your hands in condition by practising several times a week and by stopping before you get sore. All the best.

A good intermediate step is to use thumb loops and a soft leather wrap around the drill. I do that and am inclined to use that set up all the time; especially as it enables me to let complete novices have a go and make smoke.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE