Bow drill bracelet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Crazivan

Aug 17, 2010
Oxfordshire
It is an interesting idea; I wonder if something similar could be made out of natural materials (limpet shell, or a smooth notched rock?). Using a machined ball bearing to help create a friction fire seems a bit odd to me.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
True, but how many people use para cord in the bow rather than natural cordage. I do like the fusion of old and new.

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

For some time now I have wanted to make a "Steampunk Bow Drill" set.

I have a few ideas as to materials (all brass or other metals, including a cable for the cord). With my impending work travel it might have to be a winter garage project.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I made one similar with thick leather, not a bracelet, just a round one to hang on my neck with a chainsaw pull cord. A good socket takes time to make and a bad one will really frustrate you. I find the wheel bearing socket really speeds up the process of teaching the bowdrill or doing a demo. Of course to be considered a survival skill it needs to be mastered from blade to flames but not every situation in which you may want to make friction fire calls for doing it that way. I have other sockets made of ceramic with a glazed dimple, they work great too. It is nice to have one that works really well when introducing the bowdrill to new students or those who are not physically fit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE