Bounty on Grey squirrels ahead?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
It'll be intersting to see if it goes ahead. They were talking of something similar in the lake district a few years back to let the reds get a stronger foothold but nothing ever came of it.
I think it was something to do with what they classed as 'qualified' people and how it would be organised and policed. The animal protection lobbys also had a lot to say on the matter as is the case now, even though IMHO the reds are much cuter, less destructive and deserve the chance to survive in their native country.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
It's just been reported on BBC Scotland that the MSP is talking about a bounty of £3-4 a head.

Some serious money could be made here. :)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Regardless of the merits of the idea, it'll never fly. Remember the outrage from the sentimentalists when the idea of culling the hedgehogs on the Western Isles was proposed? The ecological argument seemed much more clear-cut there too... People just squeeled "But they're so cute!" and that was the end of it.

andy_scouser

Nov 29, 2005
Ormskirk
I hope this goes ahead, and I also hope that the proper tool is used, in this case a rifle!
Traps/snares are indiscriminate about colour of fur ;) and should therefore not be used. We had reds in our back garden up until 3 years ago, now i shoot the greys on sight, but I haven't made that much of an impact... the greys must breed like rabbits!

Grey squirrels by the way, eat the kernel of the nuts therefore the ones that the grey loses never grow into trees, unlike the red squirrel which buries the nut in tact. The grey squirrel carries disease too.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, I saw a programme which AFAIK was recorded in the new forest. They had some device for feeding red squirrels. It was a platform up a tree which the squirrel had to be on to get the food. It was a trapdoor that would only hold the weight of a red squirrel, which are absolutely beautiful IMO. The tree rat is too heavy and falls through the trapdoor!! Maybe some punji sticks could be put underneath the trapdoor?!!

All joking aside, tree rats aren't native to this country, same as that crayfish that must be destroyed if caught. Just because they are furry shouldn't preclude them from being culled, they are pushing cute squirrel out of its natural enviornment, and once they leave they don't return. I would like to see it done humanely of course, and squirrel burgers to be made available for purchase at the woodlore site!

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
spamel said:
Well, I saw a programme which AFAIK was recorded in the new forest. They had some device for feeding red squirrels. It was a platform up a tree which the squirrel had to be on to get the food. It was a trapdoor that would only hold the weight of a red squirrel, which are absolutely beautiful IMO. The tree rat is too heavy and falls through the trapdoor!! Maybe some punji sticks could be put underneath the trapdoor?!!

The folks from Woodsmoke were telling a few of us that the gamekeeper on the estate they use had tried these, but then he realised it was just more satisfying to adjust the spring so the greys didn't set the trap off, then sit and wait so that he could take them out with his .410 while they were munching away... :AR15firin

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Goose said:
I like advocates for Animals quote about culling Grey Squirrells, "This is little more than ethnic cleansing." :lmao:
:rolleyes: What an idiot that bloke is.I think its a wonderfull and a must do idea myself and about time too!

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I could never understand what people had against grey squirrels. So they're not native and are marginally less cute than reds, but so what? You can't turn back time and stop them coming here.

A couple of days ago I read in the newspaper that in areas where greys are present in large numbers 93% of birds nests get raided. I had no idea they ate eggs. It's changed my opinion of them. Maybe they had an input in the demise of the sparrow (though that's pure speculation).

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
philaw said:
I could never understand what people had against grey squirrels. So they're not native and are marginally less cute than reds, but so what? You can't turn back time and stop them coming here.

A couple of days ago I read in the newspaper that in areas where greys are present in large numbers 93% of birds nests get raided. I had no idea they ate eggs. It's changed my opinion of them. Maybe they had an input in the demise of the sparrow (though that's pure speculation).
Thats not all,they dont just eat the engs,they eat the hatchlings too!they allso ring trees/saplings and thus kill trees that way.All this because some prize rich pillock liked them as a fancy! Another perfect example of man messing up the enviroment for native creatures and plants by intoducing non native species,see Rabbit and cane toads down under being another!

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I can't see anyone being able to get rid of them, but they could have their numbers controlled like with rats. I find it unbelievable that ONLY 93% of nests get raided if grey squirrels really do eat eggs. The way that squirrels move around in trees, and with the size of them and their teeth, must often eat every single egg.

Does anyone know how the birds in the USA cope? Do grey squirrels have predators there?

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
I am sure that I was told that many years ago that there was a bounty on Tree rat tails, but nowhere near the above stated amounts, and they make nice pies and curry as well... sounds a good idea to get paid to eat them...real bonus...

LS

benjamin.oneill

Forager
Jan 31, 2006
East Sussex, UK
if its £3-4 in scotland I'll happily sell our scottish members mine for £1.50-2 letting you double up!! I think if this did go ahead I could see myself investing in a nice little 28guage, perfect for the job.

Ben

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
The main danger to all this is the now peaceful highlands will start filling up with untrained inexperienced nutters with guns out to make a quick quid or two. Before long we'll be needing kevlar underblankets to the hammocks not quilted ones (better start sorcing them John lol).
Dave.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
benjamin.oneill said:
if its £3-4 in scotland I'll happily sell our scottish members mine for £1.50-2 letting you double up!! I think if this did go ahead I could see myself investing in a nice little 28guage, perfect for the job.

Ben
The government would have a plan in place for this, they would make squirrel running across the border illegal, with heavy penalties to anyone caught squirrel smuggling. To make the job easier Hadrians wall will have to be rebuilt, and manned 24/7 by guards. :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE