Bounty on Grey squirrels ahead?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Culicoidis

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2005
Wiltshire
jamesoconnor said:
im sure a few people on this forum have ate squirrell. infact i know of one or two who have. theyre meant to be really tasty too!!
I have had the pleasure of eating squirrel, the pelts in the freezer awaiting processing. A friend of mine is a game keeper and thought I`d flinch when he offered me the brace. Slow cooked in red wine with hickory smoked streaky bacon they were fantastic.
As for the bounty, I think the public wouldn`t care so much if they didn`t have fluffy tails. They would then be seen for what they are, tree rats.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Interesting thread.

From a different point of view - while both reds and greys can be hunted here - the greys are prized - as they are considered a game animal (and have a season which requires a license), the reds are considered to be vermin and can be shot any time of the year without a license.

Grey squirrel, baked in mushroom soup, is one of my favorite dishes.

Both of them are a pain in the neck however, when they get in my attic and make nests. The .410 hangs loaded in the front hall and my kids have standing orders to shoot them whenever they see them in the yard. My youngest son shot 45 last summer, and my daughter shot 15. It doesn't seem to have put a dent in the local population.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE