Bothie overnighter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sam-northwest

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2013
wigan
Has anyone ever spent the night in a bothie.. I'm hoping soon to get up to the lakes when my cars back on the road that is.. And spend a night wild under the basha and a night in a bothie

sam-northwest

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2013
wigan
I was looking at them last night at www.mountainbothies.org.uk I do get the impression that they would be very spooky if camping alone.. Do you plan on visiting one again........ Mr good fellow click the link and have a look there a lifeline sumtimes

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
They're usually cold, damp and dark places, you're sometimes better off in a tent outside :)

I only know of a couple of in the Lakes and neither has a firewood supply to hand, you'd have to think about taking a bag of coal or logs with you if you want the place warm.

The Scottish bothies I've used are usually clean with good sleeping platforms, set in some stunning locations too.

Glas-allt-Shiel, queens bothy, us commoners us the entrance round the back
P1000796P.jpg

Gelder Shiel
P1000771P.jpg

Ruigh-aiteachain, lovely setting
P1000729P.jpg

All the mod cons ..
P1000731P.jpg

P1000730P-1.jpg

Melgarve
P1000697P.jpg

P1000695P.jpg

sam-northwest

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2013
wigan
I'm definitely gonna make it up there at sum point soon to spend the night in one if anyone's interested in tagging along with me your more than welcome

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Theres one in Wales thats quite close to where ya park so its easy to get supplies to it. Ill have a dig around to find it.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
There are indeed a couple of nice ones in the Lakes as well as a couple of mountain huts and at least two fully weatherproofed and sleeping platform-equipped climbers' caves.
I have been a member of the mountain bothy association for some years and would urge other members who might wish to stay in one to join as well. The subs are negligible and some of the bothies are quite spectacularly beautiful.I don't tend to use them much as I usually have a tent but if it's raining hard and the ground is soaked they are a very welcome sanctuary.Often there are other people there to chat to but do be prepared to sleep outside if the bothy is already full when you get there.It does happen quite often.
Join and support their valuable work.Then go and stay in as many as possible.You don't have to be a member to stay but it's nice to give something back.
Cheers , Simon

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
Love those pics. Bothies are brilliant. But some (especially in Scotland) can be a wee bit on the spooky side if you're there alone.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE