Bored out of my tree, can't use my hands properly, what can I do ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D Oh nice find Forestwalker :D

Thank you for the good wishes and suggestions folks :D

The constant ache has settle, and though my hands still feel *fragile*, and the joints tight and weak, and I am really watchful that I don't put any pressure on them, I am much on the mend. If I don't hurt them while they're healing, hopefully it'll all sort itself out.
I know I'm an optimist by nature, but I really do feel better :D

Funny thing the foods we eat though.....I can't eat those fish oils Bojangles, I'm allergic to fish, and have been for almost as long as I can remember, so they've never been part of my diet.

Glucosamine Sulphate I haven't used in a while, I kept coming out in a weird rash and feeling really nauseous; turns out that back then the only stuff available was processed from shellfish :rolleyes: re the allergy :eek:
Anyway, a vegan version was developed and I might acquire some and take them. Thank you for minding me of it.

Gout is right up there with toothache as the hell of diseases Richard :sigh: no' funny. Hope they got it settled for you asap.

I'd gotten lazy about avoiding all gluten and I admit I love strong cheddar. Stopped both three days ago and, yes I agree, it could just be timing, it could be partially psychosymatic (that doesn't looks as though I've spelled it correctly ? :dunno:), but I'm going to avoid both more rigorously again.

I found a site with Disc World and Good Omens fan fiction, written in the style of Mr Pratchett :)
Some total dross but some brilliant stories :cool: an enjoyable way to spend an hour or so, but I'm fed up sitting and need to move.
I can't hold a pencil and draw properly yet :sigh: but my head's full of patterns I want to sketch and play around with. Maybe later :D

Looks like it's going to pour, ah well, I'll get out for a walk later.

cheers,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just had a thought mate

Irish country dancing! Hands firmly not in play, lots of jigging about with the legs and, when better, costumes to make.

Now the idea may not help you,but the though has done mee the world of good :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D

What is it with Irish dancing ? can they no' use their hands too ? :dunno:

Tried a wee Strathspey along the landing :rolleyes: Maybe not :eek:
Cheerful interlude, thanks BR :)

M

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
:D Thank you :D

Ach, I'm just out of sorts with this damned disease.
I'll cheer up again.

Yep, they package pills in the plastic bubble packs, totally impossible for anyone with arthritis in the hands to manage. If asked the pharmacist will dispense them in a screw top tub...........with safety features.........what part of, "I can't manage to open things." does not compute with these people ? :dunno:

I have a Sony Reader and HWMBLT has downloaded a stack of new books for me, but I can't hold it and it needs propped up to see it. After an hour or so I'm climbing out of my chair needing to go and do something, any thing :rolleyes:

British Red, thank you kindly :) but if you were gardening there's no way I could sit on my backside and just watch......just soooo not me.
I had a look, and all things considered I reckon you'd have a fair chance at success with sugar beet on your land....clearest site I've found is
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/afcm/sugarbeet.html
It doesn't like soggy, and so long as you get enough moisture for it to germinate and set properly, it should do well.
Useful plants :approve:
Have you thought of keeping a couple of nanny goats? Have them AI and you could have milk for good cheese and they'd be constant living composters :D Besides, goat meat is a much under-rated meal, especially if not taken from old animals.

Thanks for the links Ian :) I'll have a looksee :cool:

Y'know Phil, treading grapes sounds like fun :D Mess incarnate :D

atb,
M

I have oste in hands kness and ankles - and yes they do same to me if not in pop outs then they come in childproof containers which I cannot on thei earth open.

Kindle is great Toddy light and easy for pages - quite alot of reading stuff too.

leighwill

Dec 30, 2011
middlesbrough
My old fella suffers with bad gout in both his feet, now i know its not the same but when it flares up he cant walk properly for a couple of days and he doesn't like taking the pills for it consantly because they cause liver problems.
He started using glucosamine patches from HOLLAND AND BARRETT he sticks one on when he starts to feel it flaring up and it reduces the pain dramatically.
Might be worth a go, hope your well soon.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
:D Oh nice find Forestwalker :D

Gout is right up there with toothache as the hell of diseases Richard :sigh: no' funny. Hope they got it settled for you asap.

M

The gout was a side effect of the TB medication I was taking. On a pain scale the worst is

1. Passing a kidney stone
2. Gout (including arthritic pain)
3. Childbirth

Toddy, I know you like natural remedies but talk to your GP about Indometacin, I was in a hospital bed on morphine, could not stand or use my left arm/hand but the difference the Indometacin made within 24 hours was incredible. Couldn't take it for about ten days due to a clash with existing medication, but I was so happy when I started taking it. I've arthritis in my knees and when I feel them starting to play up I take the Indometacin and it keeps it under control. Its a very strong drug, my not suit you buts its worth thinking about.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I went raking through the medicine cabinet after they were mentioned, and I have some, prescribed years ago when I broke my tailbone and then slipped two discs and trapped/nipped the sciatic nerve. I've had natural childbirth, you'll just need to take my word for it, but this ache beat having babies :( anyway the pills left me feeling like I had a whole body migraine and were stopped after two days.
I'm glad they worked for you, but I don't think I could face that again :sigh:

On a plus note, apart from a near culinary disaster removing a tray from the oven at dinnertime, my hands and wrists haven't ached today :D Not quite themselves, and going by the tray incident, not up to much yet, but, I'm quietly hopeful. I have long hair and I actually managed my pins to put it up this morning :cool: and the buttons on my shirt too :)

Anyone who suffers aches like this on any regular basis has my utter sympathy. Most aches I just get on with things, thole them hoping they'll go away, but my hands like this meant I was completely miserable.

I know I do like the natural remedies, but even a lightweight thread like this shows just how much we've come to rely on modern medicines and treatments.
A lot of familiar faces wouldn't be here if we didn't have those.
Maybe we need to recommend books like, 'Where there is no Doctor', for those who are prepping for the just-in-case.

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pencil in my mouth :rolleyes: hell on the neck though ;)
No, I'm managing the eight finger typing with my wrists supported. It's kind of weird typing this way, I normally touch type but not using thumbs is very awkward.

Tell you though, if it continues, my too clever for their own good Sons 1 & 2, are going to be pestered for speech recognition software :D

Do you think we'll ever get rid of this outdated conventional layout of the keys ? THere's no mechanical reason for the awkwardness of it nowadays.

cheers,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Pencil in my mouth :rolleyes: hell on the neck though ;)
No, I'm managing the eight finger typing with my wrists supported. It's kind of weird typing this way, I normally touch type but not using thumbs is very awkward.

Tell you though, if it continues, my too clever for their own good Sons 1 & 2, are going to be pestered for speech recognition software :D

Do you think we'll ever get rid of this outdated conventional layout of the keys ? THere's no mechanical reason for the awkwardness of it nowadays.

cheers,
M

BB uses text to voice via a digital dictaphone (Dragon) - its very good

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thing is Mary, modern medicine works, its proven. With a bad reaction you did the right thing stopping but really should have asked for a reduced dose or given it a while for your body to get used to it.

Good to know your on the mend.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Would you be able to water colour paint or similar at all? Was thinking that the brush could be almost lying on your hand / fingers and use light touches to the canvas?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I cheat, sort of :eek:
I use the watercolour pencils and then blend out the colour with a wetted fine brush.
I could look out the gouache though :)
If the improvement continues as it seems to be doing, I'm hopeful it's really settling; I'm typing this with all fingers and thumbs this morning :D I'll go easy, but no pain, very little stiffness, not quite free movement, but getting there :D

Talking of watercolours, there's a topic we haven't had in a while; journals and their illustrations :)

atb,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE