Booze

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Well share mine round the fire this year John.

I don't drink much at home and tend to get bought the odd bottle at Christmas.

I make Sloe Gin, Vodka and Damson port most years.

Note to Dave Budd though no Forge Water! It's not half as bad on the way down as it is on the way out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well share mine round the fire this year John.

I don't drink much at home and tend to get bought the odd bottle at Christmas.

I make Sloe Gin, Vodka and Damson port most years.

Note to Dave Budd though no Forge Water! It's not half as bad on the way down as it is on the way out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have a guest booked! :)
No FFFFFFFForge Water - agreed!

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
Most people pay too much for "single cask" whiskey (whatever brand) The only advantage you get from it is if you buy every bottle from the same "single" cask. That's the whole point of it; for each bottle to be from the same cask as the others so that you have 100 bottles (or however many you can get from a cask) that all taste exactly the same. If you only buy one bottle, you're just paying a premium price for a bottle that's matched to other bottles bought by other people.

If I could buy ANY brand 136 proof Bourbon, single cask or not, cheap i would....the only other thing even close in strength is 'Conquering Lion' white Jamaican over-proof Rum.and there ain't NO WAY I'm sipping that neat..uuuuggghhhh!!!!!!! no no no! That goes in coffee!..... or a stove..yep, it burns!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If I could buy ANY brand 136 proof Bourbon, single cask or not, cheap i would....the only other thing even close in strength is 'Conquering Lion' white Jamaican over-proof Rum.and there ain't NO WAY I'm sipping that neat..uuuuggghhhh!!!!!!! no no no! That goes in coffee!..... or a stove..yep, it burns!

LOL. Fair enough. That said Bookers Single Cask isn't quite 136 proof (close though) It's bottled uncut at cask strength between 120 and 130.6 proof. And Jack Daniels Single Barrel is the more normal 86 proof.

If you like strong bourbon try Eagle Rare at 100 proof.

On the other hand, if smooth and strong is your preference but not necessarily whiskey, try Bacardi 151 rum.

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
For a balance of, over proof / taste / cost & drinkable neat, I'd struggle to go past a bottle of Woods 100 old Navy Rum.

57% by volume, yet as smooth as can be & widely available around £24 - £25 a bottle.

NB currently on offer at Morrisons at £20!!!!

cottonwoodroot

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2014
Prince Rupert
I like the suggestions to up the volume. I have a small "larder" that contains all of my consumables. However, the right drink might justify a small flask. My plan is that the supplies live in the pack. I know alcohol in general keeps well for years. Has anyone heard of any issues with perish-ability once a bottle is opened and the contents transferred into a flask?
I also wonder about storage in a backpack where temperature can vary widely.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I think that the main thing would be to have a really good seal on the container to prevent the alcohol evaporating.

The angels should have already taken their share, so you don't want to go spoiling them.

Cheers, Michael.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just a quick warning:

1909909_10152241417223716_4243476807026419591_n.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Laphroiag - throw out the rest.
Do the same at home.
This IS the be all and end all ... if you can afford it!

Though I'm a Scot with a liking for whisky I find the Islay malts just a little too much like TCP. Sorry, I prefer stuff from Speyside, Glenfaclas being top in my book. Still it means that there's always going to be plenty of each as we all like different things.
Cheers and to your health all.
GB.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Tim_B

Dec 8, 2013
Ipswich
laphroiag quarter cask for me - although the 10 is outstanding...as is ardbeg 10. I have got some octomore first bottling, although people raved about it the 10 years is better bang for buck.

thanks
Tim

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Love all Islay's but I always think that Laphroiag is the teenage thug of the bunch. Laddie is good but young adult brash, Bowmore is the simple cousin. Ardbheg is the fun Uncle, Caol Isla is the daddy! Port Ellen is of course the Grandma!

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
Single malts are all good and well but a good blend that you can enjoy with or without water or ice or at any temperature and wont break the bank try monkey shoulder

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE