boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Those magnums don't look bad at all. I do about 12 miles a day mostly on pavements and road ( going to and from work ) which might account for the short lifespan of my shoes. I see they do a toe cap version as well which would be handy
I can't remember my brand of hiking boot but they're goretex, hand made and cost me about £170, well worth it but far to hot to be wearing all day in the lab.

I'm a bit wary of ordering footwear by post, any easy to find shops likely to stock the magnum range?

Realgar

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Realgar said:
I'm a bit wary of ordering footwear by post, any easy to find shops likely to stock the magnum range?

Realgar

Hiya,

If a lot of your walking is on concrete as you say, then I really would recommend Magnums. As will most Policemen. Have a look at the next policeman you pass, Odds on they're wearing all leather magnums :eek:): Feel comfortable, Look smart and don't weigh a ton like a lot of other boots.

As bambo said, Millets stock them, but they will only hold a partial range. I guess you'll have to rely on someone near you with local knowledge. If you find somewhere that stocks one type, they should bve able to get the others for you. Niton Police supplies stock the full range if you want to familiarise yourself with what's available. Magnum range. Look under "Footwear"

Good luck with your quest,

Martin

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Cheers, since I broke one foot years ago I have to try on a lot of boots to find ones that will fit both sides - and I still end up with two insoles on the left. Maybe I should do the other to even them up.

B

bombadil

I have always been a big fan of Meindl, I have Bourneos and Burmas, but I have to say that the Borneos are not as good as they used to be. My first pair I bought five years ago and I have them on my feet at this moment. Then I moved to a different part of the country where there was no Meindl stockist at the time, so I bought another pair. These wore out inside within six months of use, and as I was at that point living in Denmark I couldn't take them back to my stockist. Meindl consistently refused to respond to my emails. :banghead: I've found that the leather on the newer versions of the Borneo seems to be less durable, and were it not for the fact that my new Burmas were free, I would be shopping around. Bad Meindl :tw:
Grumble over :rant:

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
arctic hobo said:
If you find boots very cheap online, in today's age of mass production, go into a shop, try them out, check the fit is perfect, note the size and buy online. It's cheeky but it can save you lots.
The other advantage of buying online is that you are protected by 'The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations'. For more details check out the OFT - Online shopping in the UK with similar European protection elsewhere. This gives you the following additional protection when shopping online:
When shopping from home you additionally have the right to:

clear information before placing an order
written information about a purchase
a 'cooling off' period during which an order can be cancelled without any reason and a full refund made
a full refund if goods or services are not provided by an agreed date or within 30 days of placing an order if no date was agreed
protection against credit card fraud.
This does not extend to private auctions like eBay though, although you still have some rights even there. See OFT Internet Auctions

I find increasingly that shops refuse to provide a full refund if you buy from a shop only a credit note which is within the law, unless the goods are defective or mis-sold. Also larger online set ups often offer to pay for any returned goods in this situation. It means that if it turns out the size is not quite right or I find another problem or simply decide I don't want it after all then I can return it. I agree that with something like boots it is important but for me it is not possible to find stockists for Meindl etc here and the net is a god send knowing that if I get it wrong I can sort it out this way.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I find goretex lined footwear intolerably sweaty - but your mileage may vary, as they say.

The Scarpa SLs do seem to come top in the gear reviews (for 4 years running!). I have the older but very similar Scarpa Manta M4s. They are excellent.

I don't know how they do it, but the boot is supple enough for days of blister-free summer walking, but also stiff enough to be secure on steep or snowy ground, and will take a crampon. Traction is phenomenal. My previous boots were by Raichle with 'commando' vibram soles. They were nowhere near as secure on steep ground.

Almost every outdoor shop will have Scarpa SLs. Really best to try before you buy. The only downside is the cost.

I think the leather is thicker (3mm vs 2.5mm) than most 3 season boots, so better abrasion resistance.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
with GTX boots i find you need to wear your thick walkers and a pair of wicking socks undernieth, coolmax are good ive worn GTX boots for years in some real hot places and never had a problem, saying that some peoples feet perspire more than others.

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
Boot selection is inevitably a personal choice which is informed over time by experience. That said, there are some timeless truisms. Like, "a pound on the foot is the equivalent of five in the pack". I.e. Pick the lightest boot that will achieve the function you require.

Beyond the 2/3/4 season temperature considerations and outside of the absolute requirements that crampon use dictates regarding sole stiffness, there seems to be little consideration given to individual musculo-skeletal dynamics.

What I have not heard often in the forums or from boot vendors is vital considerations regarding how you walk as an individual. Do you usually undertake trips with heavy packs? When you stride, do you like to maintain a well trussed ankle in a stiff boot or favour a greater range of ankle to shin articulation angle? What terrain with you be traversing?

Personally, I favour a Goretex lined light-weight [part cordura] boot. There is an undeniably clammy feel after a few miles, but your feet are never sodden. Invariably I do not lace the boot to the top [except in scree or on other friable surfaces] preferring the easy striding that a more open boot affords. Typically I wear plain cotton socks and have never had a blister!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE