boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
hey i'm looking for a good pair of boots that will last me a long time, preferbly with gortex and leather, i intend to use them from camps in ireland to climbing mt kenya, so can anyone point me in the right direction?? :wave:
adam

hootchi

Settler
I use Miendl Borneo's. I love them, they are the most confortable boots I have owned and have lasted me probabally over 500 miles and still going strong with barely any blisters. They are leather with a gortex lining so very waterproof.

I would warn you however that mount kenya is covered in scree and I know somone who has climbed it and Mt Killi and ruined their boots. Leather boots are not very resistant to rock scratches.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I agree with arctic hobo... Scarpa make top boots, as do LA Sportiva.

For general bumbling around in the woods though I use some cheapie boots I got for £40, they do all I ask of them (If a little smelly) but for serious walking you get what you pay for.

PurpleHeath

Forager
Jan 5, 2005
West Sussex, England
i always use my standard british army boots, i have used them from scotland to holland but you do have to maintian them. they are great because there is no special padding or anything. just wood, nails and rubber.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
hootchi said:
I would warn you however that mount kenya is covered in scree and I know somone who has climbed it and Mt Killi and ruined their boots. Leather boots are not very resistant to rock scratches.

Tell me about it!!

I bought a lovely pair of Scarpas to go climb Kili and they got trashed on the scree slopes on the way back down. But i still wear them and the scars make me smile when I think about that trip. That's the effect scars can have sometimes. The boots are none the worse, they just sped up the "Wearing-in"

Cheers,

Martin

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
hootchi said:
...I use Miendl Borneo's. I love them, they are the most confortable boots I have owned...

Miendl Borneo's are the most expensive boots I have ever owned, however they are easily the most comfortable, and with only one replacement sole have been with me for three and a half thousand kilometers.

And as a German guy once pointed out to me "Yes we Germans Know all about making boots for walking all over Europe!".

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
sandbender said:
Miendl Borneo's are the most expensive boots I have ever owned, however they are easily the most comfortable, and with only one replacement sole have been with me for three and a half thousand kilometers.

And as a German guy once pointed out to me "Yes we Germans Know all about making boots for walking all over Europe!".
:eek:):

Meindl for me. I prefer the Engadin Men MFS model because it is Sil-Nubuck oiled leather, 910 g (size 8), non-Goretex (breathes better, does not puncture and more comfortable fine leather lining. The MFS system works pretty well too). Also it gives a bit more ankle support than the Borneo PRO MFS or Burma PRO MFS which are very popular on BCUK from older threads and also great boots. I use the Meindl syloil to treat it and it is pretty much water proof now anyhow. I find they fitted my broader feet well and good toe room.

Not cheap but I got mine half price off eBay lightly used and nicely broken in :wink: The trick is to search the German ebay.de where you get a lot more choice as well as makes like Lowa etc. and often people will ship to other countries even if it says just Germany. Nearly all will answer a short English message asking about price of postage etc. Only downside is they nearly all ask for payment via bank transfer not Paypal ( it is free for them in DE with IBAN/BIC details). Costs me 3.50 euro. Not sure about UK.

Meindl - Boots English web site

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I think feet are so different, that what suits one person does not suit another, I would suggest going into a number of stores and trying on every boot they have, walk around the store in the boots, annoy the staff, and compile a list of comfort, price, potential to fall apart, and store name. The way I see it, if you are going to pay £100 for footwear, you should get something that will not cripple after the first few miles.

Greg

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Any suggestions for cheapish summer boots - I've given up on DMs as the soles never last more than six months with me. Preferably something in black - or at least not cammo.

Oneforthepot

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Realgar said:
Any suggestions for cheapish summer boots - I've given up on DMs as the soles never last more than six months with me. Preferably something in black - or at least not cammo.

I can vouch for Hi-tec Magnums. Very comfortable and very hard-wearing. I go through a pair every year, but then again I wear them almost every day !!!

Martin

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Yep...I'd second Martin on the Magnums, I've used them on and off since they first came on the market....for the price I can't fault them.

Or you could try a pair of Karrimor KSB's for summer.....

I have a mate who wears ex-US Jungle boots but I don't like them very much myself....he swears by them... :?:

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
thanks everyone i have a list of good boots i'm going to browse the net now to check them out. my last boots were made by trek-tex and i got them in lidl (the cheap german shop) for €25!! about £17!!! and i got them about a year and a half ago!! so they may still find a place in my bag to reach the summit!! :notworthy

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
I've just bought a fantastic pair of boots, made by Zamberlan (an Italian company). Leather upper and Gortex lined, reduced from £140 to £70, and although I've still to break them in properly, they're incredibly comfortable. Trying to pile as many walking miles into my day as I have time for! The only reviews I have found on the internet about them have been spot on. They're pretty heavy but I'm thinking these babies will last me a very long time indeed.

Now I'm just looking up at the sky forlornly praying for rain...because despite what seems to be happening elsewhere...it's not happening here and I want to get out and get my boots DIRTY

RobertsonPau

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2004
North Yorkshire,UK
Gaynors Outdoor store in Ambleside, Cumbria have a bargain boot section. I got my Scarpa SL's for £100 instead of £150, my Asolo Plastic boots for £70 instead of £200, they're supposed to be seconds, the SL's were missing laces!! and the Asolo's had a scratch in the toe area!! nothing compared to the state of them now after a few winters in the mountains! they also have bargain dept's for all other outdoor kit and clothes including all the big names. The big downer is they don't do mail order, or internet sales. Ahh well another excusse to goe to the Lake District.

Paul

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
hootchi said:
I use Miendl Borneo's. I love them, they are the most confortable boots I have owned and have lasted me probabally over 500 miles and still going strong with barely any blisters. They are leather with a gortex lining so very waterproof.

I think ya switched em round there. I have a pair of Meindl Borneo's and they are none goretex, it's the burma's that are the goretex version of the boot.

But... to echo, yep, blimmin brilliant boots. :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE