Boots rubbing heels

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Managed to scrounge some `no name` walking boots

they fit me fine but, lets face it, Im an eternal trainer wearer, and they are heavy and rub my heels

is this a `sign of doom` or I need better socks, better maintained heels (they are all over dead skin at the moment) or something easily fixed?

------------------------------------------------

While on the subject of footwear that vexes me, I still have those doc martens from years back I have hardly worn as they rub me; is there any way of taming them?

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
Hi Tengu
If the heel is rubbing then they do not fit well. you can get heel grips that stick inside the boot but you are better of getting a good pair of boots and not have sore heels my last pair of boots lasted me 7 years and they got some hammmmmering i have never got blisters from a well fitted pair of boots mind you i have feet like the skin of a elephant .a good pair of socks is a must .

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Managed to scrounge some `no name` walking boots

they fit me fine but, lets face it, Im an eternal trainer wearer, and they are heavy and rub my heels

is this a `sign of doom` or I need better socks, better maintained heels (they are all over dead skin at the moment) or something easily fixed?

------------------------------------------------

While on the subject of footwear that vexes me, I still have those doc martens from years back I have hardly worn as they rub me; is there any way of taming them?

Tengu, just wear them for several weeks, a couple of hours a day and let your skin harden and see if that helps.

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
another thing that would help is to tie your lace at the first hook from below. I don't know exactly what boots you have or how to put it. but I hope this helps. pm me if you don't understand what I mean.

cheers

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
If your heels are rubbing then it would seem to me that the boots are slightly over large, so thicker socks or better two pairs. However part of the problem I would expect is that boots need some breaking in compared to trainers (and the same applies to your feet). Leather boots will always require breaking in. But if you've only been wearing trainers then you'll need to adapt. Try also innersoles, depending on what is already in the boot.

But very simply, if your foot can move in the boot, even a small amount then it will rub. Advice though will depend on what sort of boots they are.

DMs - same advice as above. Make sure that you are wearing appropriate socks. You can fiddle the fit a bit with innersoles or heel grips. The old advice with leather boots was to soak them (fill them with warm water) and then wear them around the house until dry so that the leather moulds to your feet, and more importantly bend in the right places. DMs though I think aren't that thick leather, so shouldn't need the water treatment.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
another thing that would help is to tie your lace at the first hook from below. I don't know exactly what boots you have or how to put it. but I hope this helps. pm me if you don't understand what I mean.

cheers

This trick of looping round the first lace hook the wrong way works a treat. It basically locks off the lower lacing keeping your foot in place.

Of course you need to make sure your heel is well placed to start with. When putting on the boots tap the heel firmly on the ground to make sure your heel is well into the heel cup before tightening the laces.

Scoops

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!

cheers

This trick of looping round the first lace hook the wrong way works a treat. It basically locks off the lower lacing keeping your foot in place.

Of course you need to make sure your heel is well placed to start with. When putting on the boots tap the heel firmly on the ground to make sure your heel is well into the heel cup before tightening the laces.

Scoops

can someone post up a photo please?, cos i'm not sure what you mean :confused:

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
commom_techniques.jpg

There are several examples in this pic. The top one labelled as loop is the technique I am referring to.

I would loop round like this on the first (lowest) lace hook. This has the effect of locking in place whatever tension you have placed on the foot. Otherwise as you walk the tension on the foot and ankle can even out possibly allowing the foot to slide forward and the heel to move.

Most books actually come with a "lock" for exactly this purpose on the first lace hook, although these never hold well enough for me.

More info can be found at Backpacker.com

Hope that helps rather than confuses! :)

Scoops

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
That is flipping genius. I never had any idea about those lacing tricks!

I've found heel rubbing to be part and parcel of breaking in even the softest leather boots. Turn back at the first sign of a hotspot and don't put them on again until your heel has settled - walking on heel blisters is misery.

I'd say a tiny bit of heel lift is unavoidable and will improve as the boot conforms a bit to your foot.
But more than, say, 5mm and you need to use thicker insoles (Brasher do some volume-reducing ones in 2 thicknesses)

You can protect your heel from rubbing by using two pairs of socks. In quite snug boots you can wear tight-like socks as a really thin inner pair. Brasher do a liner sock which looks a lot like my missus's heavy denier nylons (but is obviously more expensive!).

Gaffa tape over your heel helps too.

My Dad swears by soap on the inside and beating the boots up with a hammer before you start breaking them in. But then he also still bulls his toe-caps and will break in a pair of shoes until his eyes water so don't believe all his advice.

PS. I don't have connection any to Brasher, but I do like his stuff.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I second the advice about wearing them for a few hours at a time until they, and your feet, become used to each other!

As for socks, I swear by one thin, close fitting pair with a thicker pair over the top. I never get blisters, but then again I am usually in boots not trainers, and have ben so for as long as I can remember!

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
I generally sit on the floor, put my foot in the boot and give the heel a few firm taps against the ground to get my heel well into the heel cup. I then tension the lower part of the boot so it's good and firm rather than tight (remember your feet will swell!) and lock off as described above. I then lace up the ankle cuff and tie as normal.

Brashers are great. Not a high mountain boot by any means, but surprisingly capable.

Scoops

beach bum

On a new journey
Jul 15, 2004
cardiff
While there's some excellent advice here about boots, socks and lacing etc., if you want a tip about softening the hard skin on the heels of your feet, Try massaging your feet with the inside of a banana skin, I kid you not ;) do it every day and after a couple of days you'll have no more problems with hard skin.

regards

beach bum

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
My current boots I've had for a few years and they're well worn in and fit well, but even so I have to use a combination of lacing technique to keep my foot in the back of the boot. Surgeons not works a treat here. Try different socks as well and also with or without liner, used to use smartwool only but recently I'm having more luck with bridgedales.

If you're doing distance work you can try and use zinc oxide or gaffa tape on any prone areas. Later on this year I'm doing the Trailwalker (100km in 30 hours) and will probably put a layer of gaffa tape on my heals regardless.

Matt

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Thanks for the useful advice, guys, ill try some things.

And darn some extra padding into the heels of my socks...

what socks would be best?

(I will say now that there is one pair of boots I have no trouble with; its my horrid old steel toe capped ones...not a lot of good.)

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Hi Tengu,

try using climber's finger tape to tape your heels. 3-4 strips over the whole heel. Adds a protective layer to your heel.

I use it all the time (I've got funny heels with bones sticking out...) and it works a charm. No blisters!

Advantages:

Its not sticky on the outside so it doesn't stick to socks (means less rubbing and potential for blisters).

Also, its not stretchy so protects the heels (less rubbing and movement = less potential for blisters).

Oh, and if you walk a lot with heavy loads etc., save up for some high quality boots, better for your feet, knees, back etc. in the long run.

I use Han Wag boots (model Alaska GTX). Website is http://www.hanwag.de/, it's also in English... Brasher, Meindl, Scarpa, and Asolo are also good brands.

And while you're at it, get some high quality socks (material is your choice, but I like Alpaca wool).

Also, get some good foot beds, the Sorbothane Double Strike Footbed are the ultimate...

Can you tell I used to sell walking boots :D

Best of luck!

Mike

P.S. no affiliations with brands or websites :p

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Very hard skin on your feet can be just as bad as having baby soft feet. The idea is that the heel will develop a blister due to the hard skin somehow aggravating the softer layers underneath. Not quite sure how, a medic explained it once but as I don't suffer from the condition I paid very little attention!

I do sometimes get a ridge of hard skin that runs across my heel at the junction of the heel to the achilles tendon starting, it runs the width of my heel left to right and I use one of those foot graters that looks like a nutmeg grater. It leaves the skin a bit rough, but it soon wears back to smooth after a day or two of normal walking.

feet are important. If your feet are unhappy, you'll be unhappy. Sleeping systems and foot care are the two biggies for me, I can cope with a bit of rain and carp food, but of my feet get cold/wet, then I get miserable!

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I've got an article isn Trail somewhere that recommended surgical spirit and moisturiser. Surgical Spirit hardens and toughens the skin, moisturiser makes sure that it stays supple.

malente said:
Do you find that climbing tape curls up, sometimes with zinc oxide, its not as sticky as it needs to be and rubs off causing more problems than without.

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
I've got an article isn Trail somewhere that recommended surgical spirit and moisturiser. Surgical Spirit hardens and toughens the skin, moisturiser makes sure that it stays supple.

Originally Posted by malente
Do you find that climbing tape curls up, sometimes with zinc oxide, its not as sticky as it needs to be and rubs off causing more problems than without.

I haven't said that :confused:

But if that's a question, I have never had any problems with it. Older or damp climbing tape might not as sticky when you apply it (make sure your skin is dry too!), but if you keep it at home in a drawer (or in a plastic bag on trail) it stays dry and you should have no problems.

All I can say is that I swear by it with my strange heel spurs... Of course it might not work for everyone.. :)

Mike

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
sorry that was a question, I was typing that whilst teaching a class and brain was on other matters :p I'll give the climbing tape a go, I've got several reels of the stuff lying around.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE