Boots on a budget...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
First off let me say I know the adage you get what you pay for really applies to the world of footwear but being permanently poor precludes me going out and splashing out on a pair of Meindl's or similar.

Therefore need some help/recommendations. I've got about £50 to spare for a new pair of boots. Terrain is going to be the woods and hills of North Wales pretty much year round and being a fussy git I really don't like black leather.

So any recommendations? And Where's good to buy round the North Wales/Cheshire/Shropshire area?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
He he, I'm pretty fussy when it comes to footwear too,

My last major buy was a second-hand pair of Matterhorn Fort Bragg's, that now need a re-sole!

Keep in mind things like Sealskins gortex socks, which can prolong the life of ordinary footwear.

Or you could take the Cody Lundin approach......

ATB

Ogri the trog

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
I got a pair of alt-berg from Ebay for £25. Leather & waterproof. I'd look on ebay and bide your time.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
British army goretex Pro Boots are cheap and comfy (£40 ish) I use em for work and they're ..... well..... tough as old boots really :D

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
Don't know if they've been mentioned but the Bates range look quite good - I'm quite tempted myself but don't know if the others here can comment from experience?

tel

UltimateSurvivor

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2010
Richmond North Yorkshire.
Jack Pyke Countryman.

I use these when i'm out Hunting and they never let me down.

£52.99 on flebay. You won't find a better boot for that price.

SPECS.
Waterproof nubuck leather upper with leather collar
Waterproof breathable Breathatex® lining
3M Thinsulate insulation layer
Rustproof metallic lacing system
Rubber with PU sole with 2cm high reinforced rubber strip for extra protection
9 eyelet high

Regards.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
My last pair of boots were £150, but as maddave has already said, British military boots are good for the price.

Wings

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Agree with hiho - TK Maxx usually have some decent boots in for that sort of money. In my neck of the woods they currently have a good selection of Rohan, Berghaus, Karrimor & a few Scarpa. Happy hunting..

Thanks all for your comments, must admit I'm liking the look of the Jack Pyke Countryman boots. So going plump for those when I get a bit of money in my paypal account. Thanks UltimateSurvivor, you can always trust a fellow Yorkshireman to point you in the right direction.

Just one last question, do most people stand by the idea of buying a size larger due to foot expansion? Am a size 9 so if I stick by the theory I should by the next size up?

UltimateSurvivor

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2010
Richmond North Yorkshire.
Thanks all for your comments, must admit I'm liking the look of the Jack Pyke Countryman boots. So going plump for those when I get a bit of money in my paypal account. Thanks UltimateSurvivor, you can always trust a fellow Yorkshireman to point you in the right direction.

Just one last question, do most people stand by the idea of buying a size larger due to foot expansion? Am a size 9 so if I stick by the theory I should by the next size up?

Deffinately go a size up if you go for the JP Countrymans. They lace up quite snug. I'm a size 11 so i go for a 12, whatever boot i get. Leaves room for expansion and a thick pair of Army issue socks, or two.:cool:

Regards.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
I would rather wear trainers and take extra socks untill you save enough for a decent pair. Or buy second hand.

Nothing worse than blowing your last £50 on boots that leak water after the 3rd use. Money down the drain.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE