Boots: Lowa Mountain GTX Boots Vs. Brit. Army Pro Boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

little_leaf177

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2011
Liverpeewwll
Hellooo...
Im in a bit of a predicament for boots for when im camping/hunting/mountain walking/climbing and was after a second oppinion...

I'm after a new pair of boots. I've never really had much issue with boots in the past. I've always been quite forutnate with my selection of boots, as a bad pair of boots can be crippling. from what i can remember my first pair of boots were the old british 'Combat' boots with the water-tred sole, Done a good few exercises of 20 miles + without blisters.. cant fault them...
Then it was the pro boots with sorbathan insoles... like slippers, yet again done 30-50 mile Escape/evasion exercise with no blisters...
Now its the Lowa mountain GTX - Cant fault em at all, after 5+ years only the other day whilst whacking bunnies i noticed a slightly wet sock... & the sole unit starting to come away

So.. which ones do i go for? Combat Boots, Pro Boots or Lowa boots?? Or are there any other suggestions before i splash out on the wrong boots???

Kind regards
Leaf177

N.B: I also have the bates eagle 8" Boots which is spot on for urban work... would recommend for bobbies, security etc...

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I recently invested in some brasher hill walker gtx boots.
Best boots iv ever owned and got them in a sale at go outdoors!!
Cheers
Steve

Leave only footprints take only memories

Nov 21, 2012
Kinross
I would go for the Lowa boots I have a set and they are great, or you could just get your old set of boots resoled and save a bit of cash.

regards probie

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Lowas are awesome and done me very well, but I hear nothing but great reviews about the altberg sneaker elite and altberg boots in general I plan to get some when my pleas die I have 2 pairs so will be a while anyway

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
I recently invested in some brasher hill walker gtx boots.
Best boots iv ever owned and got them in a sale at go outdoors!!
Cheers
Steve

Leave only footprints take only memories

They are good boots and are as comfy as slippers but i wear the soles out very quickly ive since moved to meindle boots and find them more sturdy and i havent worn out this pair after 3 years of use

Allen

Jan 5, 2006
Cumbria
Lowas are superbly comfortable and long lasting, really well made, their only downside is they are next to useless on smooth wet surfaces and suicidal on ice.

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
Lowas are superbly comfortable and long lasting, really well made, their only downside is they are next to useless on smooth wet surfaces and suicidal on ice.

Same as most boots with a hard wearing sole then as ive had the same problems

A freind of mine swears by sliding fishnet tights over his boots when the going gets slippy but ive yet to try it myself

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
Have a look at Altbergs - I think a big difference between the Lowas and the Pro boots is the rigidity of the sole - one has a stiffer mountain sole the other a more flexible sole like 'normal' combat boots when I were a lad.
Altbergs do a range of similar boots but with different mid-soles, altering the stiffness eg the Peacekeeper and Sneeker have more flexy soles, and I think the Warrior has a stiffer one. Really good boots. And you don't have to get them in black either.
Brashers good too, if availability is an issue.

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
I have just bought a pair of Altberg Sneeker Aqua's for work and play, fabby boots. Very comfy yet supportive, quite a flexible but very grippy sole....i am very happy.

Nov 13, 2012
Wirral
Lowas all the way for me! I have a pair on Patrol Non-GTX and a pair of Desert Elite. Both have asymmetrical walking position, which I need due to having flat feet and an outrageous outstep. My patrol boots have lasted 7 years so far and will probably need re-soling soon. I wear them daily. I have had the Desert Elite for around 6 months now and I love them. I wear them with jeans or when out walking and find them really comfy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE