Boots for African trekking/building

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jiimlad42

Nov 28, 2009
Formby
Hello all,

In Summer this year i am travelling out to Tanzania. Whilst there i will be doing some trekking across savannah with nomadic herders, taking part in building projects and climbing Mt. Meru. it dawned on me that my i will need a good pair of boots to cope with the harsh conditions. Boots will also be pretty worn when i return so it is not essential that the boots are suitable for UK climate as well (and i already have Brasher boots for UK).

Just wondering if anyone had any experience and if anyone could recommend some good boots.

Cheers

gerryg

Jul 10, 2009
Ontario
Hello all,

In Summer this year i am travelling out to Tanzania. Whilst there i will be doing some trekking across savannah with nomadic herders, taking part in building projects and climbing Mt. Meru. it dawned on me that my i will need a good pair of boots to cope with the harsh conditions. Boots will also be pretty worn when i return so it is not essential that the boots are suitable for UK climate as well (and i already have Brasher boots for UK).

Just wondering if anyone had any experience and if anyone could recommend some good boots.

Cheers

I have no personal experience with boots from Russell Moccasin, from what I've read in various places they are the ones to measure all the others against. They are expensive and you must wait a good while for delivery, but they are custom made and will probably be the best boots you ever own in your entire life. Someday I hope to have a pair.

Having said that they are specifically known for their African safari boots...good luck, gerry

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Used to spend a bit of time in the midlands of Zimbabwe. There was a kind of sharp grass seed there that behaved like miniature porcupine quills. They'd get stuck in any kind of fabric and were very scratchy and difficult to remove. For that reason, no one wore socks, and the standard footgear was Clarks unlined desert boots. Did so much walking that I lost the nails on both big toes once.

Check them for scorpions before you put them on, too. Saw a girl who didn't once, and she invented an athletic new dance.

Last edited:

Pepperana

Dec 3, 2009
Netherlands
I've got Haix desert boots that walk very well. There are the default boots for the Belgium army in the Irak area. They are suited for desert ore jungle. They are non goretex and very suited. If you want goretex the latest model. Airpower p9 desert boot got goretex.
586846566c4a334a35347a64593869684a5a67-250x250-0-0.jpg

I picked up mine just looking new for 50 euro.

Used to spend a bit of time in the midlands of Zimbabwe. There was a kind of sharp grass seed there that behaved like miniature porcupine quills. They'd get stuck in any kind of fabric and were very scratchy and difficult to remove. For that reason, no one wore socks, and the standard footgear was Clarks unlined desert boots. Did so much walking that I lost the nails on both big toes once.

Check them for scorpions before you put them on, too. Saw a girl who didn't once, and she invented an athletic new dance.

Heh heh - Happy memories! I grew up in Mashonaland in Zimbabwe and the footwear of choice was a pair of "veld skoens" or fellies (bush shoes) cleaned with "sadza" (maize meal porridge). These are the footwear of choice in Kenya and Tanzania too. (But the lace holes have metal eyelets - Wimps!) Whatever your choice is make sure they are well broken in. Wounds from blisters and spear grass do not heal in the African heat and get infected very easily. Not good.

Don't forget if you are going to be building - Your toes need protection so forget rafters (sandals) of any sort. If you are going to be up ladders, you need stepped heels - They are the only thing that will keep you on your ladder.

Take loads of cheap sports t shirts, socks etc. Not for you! Africans love them and will trade these for wonderful wooden, leather and stone souvineers.

Have fun and safe travels. Fambai zvakanhaka.........hc

Nov 18, 2009
Earth
I'll bet you end up wearing flip-flops most of the time.

I've a pair from matalan that I estimate did over 100 miles around a variety of Kenyan terrains. Think they cost about 3 quid.

Wish I could find another pair the same, as even though they are still going strong, they cannot be far from flipping their last flop.

So my advice is get a good pair of flip-flops (not the thong ones) and break them in before you go too.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Rogue boots were designed for this sort of terrain and HE and his instructors wore them for years! I have had a pair of RB5s for several years but these would be overkill, RB2s would be better. Got mine from John at Unbeaten Tracks but I think the main importer is now Kendrick Imports. I certainly like mine for British weather, and have toyed with getting the 2s for summer wear.

What you need are two pairs of boots, trust me I have worn boots like these all my life in Africa and the Rogues(the dark pair) are excellent for everything, they do do get hot on extreme days, the other pair you need are traditional vellies, worn with no socks, for best results.
Vellies are very light and comfortable, forget long combat style boots, you just dont need them.
VELLIES001.jpg

VELLIES002.jpg

Omegarod

Forager
Dec 3, 2009
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
When I am in Kenya and Tanzania (three or more times a year), I take just two pairs of shoes.

1. A light sandal type for everyday use (worn without socks)
Something like this
91789858-300x300-0-0_Merrell+Merrell+Men+Waterpro+Ganges+Sandal+J85907+.jpg

2. a pair of light shoes, such as the Merrell Gore-tex
6d66767436515f4b565a32366a61436d7a4167-300x300-0-0.jpg

I really see no point or advantage in heavy boots or safari type desert boots. (If you buy those then be sure to also get a pith helmet to complete the image).

Most of my time is spent in the sandals.

Someone mentioned T shirts.... yes, the locals love them, especially if they are Manchester United, Arsenal or Liverpool. But for yourself, take some really lightweight LOOSE cotton shirts. Buy them at least 1 size larger than you would normally, and preferably the type with a yoke shoulder covering a net. T shirts are much too hot and uncomfortable. Get something that allows really good air circulation.

Rod

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
The main advantage with Hi-top dessert boots is that when you are walking you wont twist your ankle going over any rocks or anything. It is personal preference but I would take some MoD dessert boots (I will be taking some to egypt next year for the dunes) after all if they are designed for the brittish army to cross deserts on foot or perform 4 hour patrols in the heat then theyre no1 in my books.

I dont like the idea of these safari type all leather boots, your feet will sweat if walking and they really are a gimmicky shoe meant for people on holidays armed with a camera sitting in the back of a landy. For what you are doing I would reccomend some better boots that breathe or if you dont like the Hi-top then some merrels like omegarod suggested. :)

This is just my 2p ;)

Jiimlad42

Nov 28, 2009
Formby
Seems like two pairs is a safe option, i already have some trainer style merrels so will probs take them plus whichever boots i decide to get cheers for all the help guys

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I have a couple of pairs of the Rogue boots and used the RB2's in South Africa, superb boots, tough, comfortable and well suited for the conditions.
They are commonly used by trails guides and one of the guys i was talking to was married in his... after walking from Cape town to the border of Ethiopia!
Also i noticed that Mil spec boots can look too military for many places.

Cheers
Louis

Omegarod

Forager
Dec 3, 2009
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
Also i noticed that Mil spec boots can look too military for many places.

Cheers
Louis

That's an important point! (Although in Tanzania and Kenya it is less of a problem). It is NOT a good idea to dress like military in Africa. My son is an exploration geologist, and one of the companies he has worked for supplies military spec clothing for its employees..... but in a loud bright Hawaiian pattern! :)

Rod

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE