Boot-specific treatment advice sought

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 5, 2006
Londinium
Howdy,

Having not looked after a pair of Altbergs very well, I'm now determined to look after my new boots properly, of which I have 2 pairs.

I realise that this is a perennial topic with a lot of lore, but here goes anyway!

1. Meindl mountain boot - like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GERMAN-Ar...hash=item3ac0e74128:m:m5bXe_GKagTVfkON3BQ05og

2. Austrian para boot, like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GERMAN-AU...hash=item4640be6586:m:myzBogBE8SRwR_YzFqPTEfg

So the question is, a) what to do to break them in / mould them to my feet, and b) then which products would be best suited to their leather type.

I've been through a number of old threads and about breaking them in, there is the recurring advice to soak the boots in water and then wear them for a day to mould them to one's feet, although I must say I'm not too enthused about this given the temperature at this time of year.

Regarding treatment, I see that Leder Gris is often mentioned, but also that it's only good for the type of leather Altberg use. Not knowing enough about the kind of leather they use, I can't comment on that one.

Other possibilities:

Meindl seem to recommend Meindl Sportwax
Renapur (but which type?)
Graingers (again, which product?)
Neetsfoot oil - apparently can make boots too soft
Obenaufs - very expensive though

Finally would Neetsfoot oil be a good thing to try to attempt to recover my rather matt looking Altbergs?

Thanks for any help.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Go with either grangers G-wax or leder grix. The leder gris is made by grangers anyway and i'm 90% sure its their standard g-wax with a colorant and more wax added. It can be had for £2 a tin in go outdoors, leder gris for about £5 off ebay.

Dont bother with soaking them, this worked for the old thin leather combat highs but isn't needed for boots like altberg or meindl which are comfy from the off. I would also avoid neatsfoot oil, it'll over soften the leather and give you less support.

For the old altbergs just stick on a good coat of the g-wax or leder gris and leave it to soak in, it might need a few coats to sort them.

Tonyuk

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
You could always try Leder Glos, to recover from the Matt, meant for in barracks/base camp to put a better shine on your boots.
Or take them to a cobbler who may put a coat of wax on for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I've always had good success with beeswax based treatments - such as Grangers G-wax - really worked into leather that is gently warmed with a hair dryer to aid absorption. Otherwise it tends to sit on the surface and rub/flake off.

johnnythefox

Mar 11, 2011
England
wear them in the house bit by bit.

its to cold to wet and wear them now, but I do when its warmer.

leder gris on everything belts,gloves, pouches, motorcycle gear "everything" it is the best.

read altbergs boot care advice and follow it .

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
As they are already used, the leather is broken in roughly in the shape if your feet.
I would first impregnate them, then wear them for longer stretches as they mold to your feet. Should go fairly quickly.

What products?
I am a lifelong believer in Mink oil for the stitching and Mink fat/wax for the leather. But most products will do the job.

I believe they used a normal black shoe polish in the G. Army, no special stuff. Cleaning and polishing the shoes and boots was /is done every day if used.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I have just picked up a pair of Altbergs and the recommended care is to use leder gris followed by leder glos. But use the correct MOD brown glos to make sure they don't turn purple

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Keep with something with natural oils or waxes, standard polish will dry the leather out eventually, happened to the last pair of lowa boots i had, causing them to crack and peel along the flex.

Tonyuk

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
200g beeswax
125g lard
100g olive or neatsfoot oil
25g pure turpentine
Warm all the ingredients together in a bain-marie then pour into tins....
It makes a good hand creme as well :)
For mustache wax, furniture polish, plain hand creme etc just leave out the lard and turps and only use olive oil...

Somellier

Jan 17, 2017
Peak District
Wearing boots in? Wear them! Firstly around the house then out and about. Caring for them? I've tried all sorts - but am most impressed with this, which was recommended by a boot repairer. As he said, leather is "dead skin" so needs "feeding" and the Nikwax does the trick!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE