Boot market buy.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I saw this and decided I wanted to turn it into a draw knife.
The blade is for a large wood plane, It has not been used and is very sharp.
I paid more than I wanted but it will be a good project for a winters day.
The blade is 4 mm thick about 51 cm long and 36mm depth.
002-3.jpg

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I can wait, I have a few other projects going at the moment, I'm thinking of making a tent, if not a big tarp/basher.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Is high speed steel no good for the project then Mac, if not then it will be another learning curve.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
No no - its fine. My first ever blade was made from a high speed steel hack saw. - It takes an incredibly sharp edge.

HSS is interesting because it has a high working temperature. If it is already hard, you could grind the shape you want and not have to worry about ruining the temper. (Keeping it cool is a good idea though)

I have no idea what the HT would be like for it, so might be wise to ask over on BB.

Best of luck.

Andy

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Cheers Mac, when I get round to doing it I'll grind out a profile for the handles and with a little heat, trying not to ruin the temper, bend the ends a little and fit some wood for the new handles.
It shouldn't take long really.
There was a little rust underneath the sticky tape when I unfurled it so it needs a polish and then a sharpen.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Well Mac you were right about it needing a high temperature to work on.
I heated it up twice and let it cool slowly on the handles, this took a lot of grinder work as the steel was very hard.
Then I heated one end up to red and tried bending to shape by taping with a hammer, capoooooowwwwwwwwwww it went and a piece broke off.
Time to to try another way, I might make a pair of handles from wood in an L shape and attach to the two ends.
I did try drilling a hole in one and it is too hard to drill so epoxy glue will have to do.
A picture will follow soon, a few too many small projects going again all at once. Now where is my camera.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Personally I wouldn't bother trying to reshape it but would try make handles that will work with it - you do get some draw knives that are completely straight, handles and all!

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Well I finished it yesterday with straight walnut handles.
I have tried it out and it works so my time was not wasted.
The mark on the left hand side of the blade is a rust mark, over time this will fade whilst sharpening.

drawknife003.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE