Boot Care

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi just need some advice on boot care. I am someone who always washes their boots after a woodland or forest walk but what I want to know is when it comes to water proofing my boots whats the best thing to use taking into account I us army black leather combat boots. Is Duben any good for this or is there something else I could use to waterproof my boots. Any advice would be appreciated.

woggle;)

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi woggle,
welcome. a good question that will get you as many answers as there are products, lol!
Dubbin is great, i use it a lot, but quite a few folk on here use the leder gris (can't remember who makes it now). But do a search on here and you will find plenty of threads covering the same topic.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I use a combination of Kiwi polish, because I like a shine, and Nikwax every so often.
I only used polish on my combat boots and never had wet feet, unless the water went over the top!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
It also depends on the leather. Some leathers, like the old Swedish Army full leather boots, were made from leather that went water tight with boot polish.
My RedWings are made from leather that need Mink oil and similar penetrating greases.
The construction of the boot is also a factor. Many boots have glued or vulkanized soles to top, some ( like my RW) have a stitched connection.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Either Altberg leder gris or Grangers g-wax. Dubbin can over-soften the leather leading to less ankle support.

Tonyuk

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Another vote for Leder Gris - it's an oil and wax polish that feeds the leather as well as polishing and proofing it. It's recommended by Altberg, so super stuff!!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It also depends on the leather. Some leathers, like the old Swedish Army full leather boots, were made from leather that went water tight with boot polish.
My RedWings are made from leather that need Mink oil and similar penetrating greases.
The construction of the boot is also a factor. Many boots have glued or vulkanized soles to top, some ( like my RW) have a stitched connection.

It also depends on what you mean by "waterproof." If you mean keeping the water from saturating the leather, lots of thing work; if you mean keeping your feet dry, nothing will keep the water from pouring in that hole in the top of the boot if you cross water over the top.

You can always try the old standby and smear them with bear grease.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
You could always use some builder's rubble bags and some gaffer tape... that'll keep the water off your boots and you'll have a unique woodland style that might catch on :D

I wear boots everyday... I use a generic polish, give them a good coating and buff them up... they still get wet when I'm out and about, but once I've dried them and polished them again, they're fine.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
It also depends on what you mean by "waterproof." If you mean keeping the water from saturating the leather, lots of thing work; if you mean keeping your feet dry, nothing will keep the water from pouring in that hole in the top of the boot if you cross water over the top.

I always try to know the depth before I step in.
Never tried bear grease. Mink oil, whale oil, seal oil yes.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I always try to know the depth before I step in......

Oh, I know the depth. Waist deep or deeper isn't uncommon when hiking/hunting (less common now than when I was younger but still not uncommon) Deeper's possible if on horseback.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
wow! how tall are your horses boots then? :p

LOL. Shorter than mine

Horseshoe.jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I used to love the old Nikwax in tins. Rubbed in with warm fingers by the fire it was absorbed by the leather. The new stuff is water based and dries on my boots to leave a horrible white layer and fills the stitching with white paste. Not so good, it doesn't seem to absorb at all, just coats the leather.

I'm sure there was an alternative, but I can't remember the name.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I used to love the old Nikwax in tins. Rubbed in with warm fingers by the fire it was absorbed by the leather. The new stuff is water based and dries on my boots to leave a horrible white layer and fills the stitching with white paste. Not so good, it doesn't seem to absorb at all, just coats the leather.

I'm sure there was an alternative, but I can't remember the name.

Grangers G-Wax sounds like what your after, Beeswax based and absorbs into the leather, leaving a bit on the outside.

Tonyuk

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland

A technique we use when river crossing is to cut the wrist to arm length off of one of the cbrn kit gloves and when crossing a stream bring it up your leg so that it covered your socks (rolled down a bit) and about an inch & 1/2 over the top of your boot. Stops the water from pouring in. If your lucky your boots will stay practically dry this way, or dry enough to be fixed almost instantly with a sock change.

Tonyuk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE