Books to give new bushcrafters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
One of these days I imagine I'll be found crushed beneath a mountain of antique camping books when the shelves give way. Until then I can enjoy reading and re-reading some of these wonderful volumes, sifting the advice they offer and putting it into practical use.

I've been thinking about books that make particularly good gifts, especially to relative novices in the areas of camping and bushcraft (or "wildcraft" as Kephart called it,) books with the sort of engaging charm and depth of content that really grab the reader and spark a passion for the outdoors. With a view to perhaps teasing some suggestions out of other forum members, here's a suggestion for one of them:

Cache Lake Country - Life in the North Woods by John J. Rowlands, illustrated by Henry B. Kane (W.W. Norton 1947; Countryman Press 1998)

The seductive premise of John J. Rowlands' autobiographical book is that he once canoed into a secluded lake and realised that he had found the location of his childhood dreams. He returned, built a cabin and lived there for... well, we never really find out. Nor do we know just where this magical lake lies. We do discover how to make a sort of blueberry dessert, or construct a vice for tying flies, or build a food store... dozens of things, interspersed with legends and tales of the northern woods. There's nature lore and friendship and simple, honest writing (deceptively simple, in fact) in this book, enough projects and hard advice to keep the reader returning for new challenges, enough of the woods and seasons to make sure that you can never just dip into it without reading further. Currently available in a handsome paperback (based on the "Wilderness Edition," a slightly smaller format than the first edition,) the original hardback can still be found and has its own appeal. A book that gently urges the reader to pack a bag and set off in search of his own Cache Lake.

A great many wonderful old books have slipped into undeserved obscurity, and although finding examples of them is a delightful hobby it's good to see that some of the greats are still in print. If you haven't yet read it I thoroughly recommend looking at Cache Lake Country. If you have the willpower you might even be able to pass it along to someone else.

Taiga

Oct 24, 2006
hertfordshire
Glad i am not the only one who has derived a lot of pleasure from Cache Lake Country.

It is a marvelous book for anybody who dreams of finding thier own piece of paradise.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE