"Book of Eli" - Couple of things?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Give it a few years and you can just get yourself some new clothes that can charge your kit up for you!

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn13302-nanobristle-tshirt-to-harness-your-power-moves.html

Cannot find it, but have heard they are looking at systems like the watch ones.

I bought one of those panels you hang on your rucksack and it's crap, even in the height of summer with long, bright days it takes a long time to charge a single AA. The panel just isnt big enough and given that we only have strong sunshine for a couple of weeks a year ....well I dont rate em anyway.

This set up comes with a battery which it can charge in 4 hours.

Think it needs a lot more thought. Also you are adding 2kg to your kit:eek:

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
I really liked that movie, but "Park your Brain at the Door", and enjoy the Western/post nuke / road warrior action and solid acting. Love the last 15 minutes. I give it a 8.5/10 . For a more realistic version , I highly recommend seeing The Road. However, be prepared to drink a lot afterwords as the movie is very depressing. My 2 cents : )

S

skoper

I had a Fred Bear take down three part recurve. It was many years ago when I was a teenager. It took just a minute or so too put together. Was fun to use killed many rabbits. Wish I still had it. If you get a chance look up the bowhunting Fred Bear did hunting big game all over the world.
there are still many quite cheap takedown bows available in the uk,,, and are great for target shooting,, they pack real tight too,

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
More likely to be a gel battery of the type used in mobility scooters. They are not as heavy as lead acid and dont spill the contents and unlike traditional lead-acid batteries, they are designed for repeated deep discharge & recharge cycles. They are sometimes used by mobile ham radio enthusiasts who use them to power their long range portable rigs. The reason they are used is because they deliver 12 volts for a long(ish) time. If you are not running anything that needs 12 volts, go with AA size rechargeable sanyo eneloops.

I haven't seen the film but I used to use a Varley red top 20 in my track car to save weight. It's a dry Dry cell battery that can be mounted how ever you like (nothing to spill). It weighed about 5kgs IIRC and would store without loseing charge for 2 years or so. It seemed just as good as a normal car battery to me. They do lighter ones too.

You can get a similar battery cheaply by buying one of those car jump kits from places like halfords and dismantling them to get the battery out.

woodwalker1987

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2010
essex
As far as I know nobody makes two piece arrows so the bow parts are shorter than the ammo.
I'm sure there is a 'pathfinder' episode on youtube where dave canterbury of wilderness outfitters archery makes take down arrows to use with his slingbow?!

may be worth a look!

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I haven't seen the film but I used to use a Varley red top 20 in my track car to save weight. It's a dry Dry cell battery that can be mounted how ever you like (nothing to spill). It weighed about 5kgs IIRC and would store without loseing charge for 2 years or so. It seemed just as good as a normal car battery to me. They do lighter ones too.

You can get a similar battery cheaply by buying one of those car jump kits from places like halfords and dismantling them to get the battery out.

Interesting but 5kg a lot of extra weight, but wonder how long it would last?

As far as I know nobody makes two piece arrows so the bow parts are shorter than the ammo.

I'm sure there is a 'pathfinder' episode on youtube where dave canterbury of wilderness outfitters archery makes take down arrows to use with his slingbow?!

may be worth a look!

Seen almost all of his stuff, will have to go back and check but do not remember that one.

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
More likely to be a gel battery of the type used in mobility scooters. They are not as heavy as lead acid and dont spill the contents and unlike traditional lead-acid batteries, they are designed for repeated deep discharge & recharge cycles. They are sometimes used by mobile ham radio enthusiasts who use them to power their long range portable rigs. The reason they are used is because they deliver 12 volts for a long(ish) time. If you are not running anything that needs 12 volts, go with AA size rechargeable sanyo eneloops.

Aye you'd want something deep cycle. But these gel cells are still real heavy. I use them for powering mobile soundsystems, usually a bigger 'leisure battery' designed for off grid living, but also the scooter ones for a backpack system.

But i'd say in a post apocalyptic situation... ditch the 'lectric and go old school.

Grey Owl

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2006
Canada
voyagetothebay.cauc.ca
Takedown arrows are quite easy to make. I have been making demonstration darts for atlatls for years by taking the idea from Atlatl Bob, aka. Bob Perkins, who sells such a product.

To make a takedown arrow would entail the following steps.
1) At the archery shop have them cut an aluminum arrow blank in half
2) Glue the threaded inserts normally used for points into 3 of 4 ends.
3) Glue your nock into the 4th end.
4) Cut the head off a machine bolt, touch up the threads, I believe 8-32 is the correct thread size
5) Use lock-tite to permanently glue one end of the machine bolt into a threaded insert.
6) Fletch the arrow
7) Thread in your choice of point (target, broadhead,etc.), thread the two pieces together and you have a takedown arrow.

The reason for having the archery shop cut them is to ensure a perfectly square cut on the end by using their jigs/cutting machine. For touching up the threads I have a pair of wire strippers with a threading tool built-in to the frame.

Using a similar mechanism I have made several dozen atlatl darts that come apart for easy transport from home --> range --> schools --> scout meetings, or wherever there is a request for the local caveman to put in an appearance. It may not be authentic, but it makes a wonderful demonstration set of equipment that I don't worry about kids/adults breaking or messing up. And for a bonus they come in camo patterns.

Jan 11, 2006
brecon
yuasa batteries are semi dry I.E. no leacks if they burst or turn upside down ++you can get gel ones now (i used to work for yuasa lol) you can get them in about 40 different amp,s and voltages also to power anything from telephone boxes at 120 amps to petzel head torches at 1.2 volts.

anyone have a clue if you can charge this kind of battery from a modified wind up torch ? ...as for the bow you can buy a foot long bow at 30lb pull that shoots almost full size (24"+) arrows for about £100 considering a rabbit skull takes under 3lb to penetrate with a .22 air gun pellet. so a7--9mm arrow with 400 times the weight at 30lb would (in a survival situation ONLY ) be good for anything up to sheep size or human size if it came to that :eek:

as for the rest its holywoodland they are allowed to make a few errors to entertain ...just look at how how they won the second world war :BlueTeamE
:lmao:

Last edited:

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
yuasa batteries are semi dry I.E. no leacks if they burst or turn upside down ++you can get gel ones now (i used to work for yuasa lol) you can get them in about 40 different amp,s and voltages also to power anything from telephone boxes at 120 amps to petzel head torches at 1.2 volts.

anyone have a clue if you can charge this kind of battery from a modified wind up torch ?

With a bit of simple fidling/circuitry you can turn any electric motor into a human powered generator. Run electric through it and you get rotary energy... rotate it and you get electricity. Got a few friends doin this full time and making pedal powered systems and wind turbines out of scavenged motors from washing machines, go carts, scooters, windscreen motors, car alternators... the list goes on

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
as for the rest its holywoodland they are allowed to make a few errors to entertain ...just look at how how they won the second world war :BlueTeamE

With a bit of simple fidling/circuitry you can turn any electric motor into a human powered generator. Run electric through it and you get rotary energy... rotate it and you get electricity. Got a few friends doin this full time and making pedal powered systems and wind turbines out of scavenged motors from washing machines, go carts, scooters, windscreen motors, car alternators... the list goes on

Think pedal, or hand power the way to go in the uk. At least if you have to carry it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE