"Book of Eli" - Couple of things?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Saw this film in the week, and been thinking about a few things in it.

One thing he does is carry a sort of car style (that pattern but smaller) battery for an Ipod. I carry a pda for reading, information, mp3 etc, and being able to charge this in the wilds is something I am giving a lot of thought too. A battery like this might make for better solar charging during the day.

He also uses guns for protection only. He has a fold down long bow for hunting. We do not get to see the bow fold, or come apart but it has to. This is the time you get to see his Mary Poppins rucksac, he has the bow, and arrows when he needs them, but they never seem to be on him at any other point.

The last thing are nit picks. He does not have a water filter, or even attempt to filter water at any point. Also he does not seem to carry any sort of shelter, or sleeping kit.

This film raises some points for long term bushcraft.

For one, a bow makes better hunting sense, especially if you can make the arrows, and bow yourself, because it is repairable, and replaceable. A fold down bow only needs to go as small as it's arrows, so what would be the ideal bow style?

How much space does entertainment take in your kit?

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
OK, let me say right up front, that I haven't seen the film. Now, having said that, here are a few observations:

1. A small car-style battery sounds like a motorcycle battery. In any case that would probably be a lead-acid "wet" battery. Think "heavy." I can see the advert now: "comes in a handy lead container!" Also, when you put it in your pack, it undoubtedly will turn over on its side and run acid all over everything in your pack, destroying all, including the pack. Also, these car-style batteries are going to need regular recharging. Not easily done in the woods.

2. Solar cell charging technology has come a long way in the last few years. The chargers keep getting smaller and lighter. They are "clean" and won't contaminate anything. Also, don't overlook any "hand-crank" charger possibilities. More work, but sunshine not needed. Possibly important in your locale.

3. I won't say that a fold down long bow wouldn't work, but when it is unfolded and deployed, it is going to have to be rigidly locked at each joint. There will be no flex at that joint. This bow will not have near the flexibility of a normal bow. End result, it is going to be weaker than a similar normal bow of the same size. Or harder to draw, and probably both. IMHO.

4. I do not know if what I'm about to describe to you is available to people in the U.K. or not, as I do not have a great familiarity with your laws. However, here in the U.S. almost all bow hunters use compound bows with the pulley systems. Smaller versions of these are sold for children. They are about 1/2 to 2/3 the size of the adult bows and yet are quite capable of taking relatively large game, like a deer.

Obviously, these do not come apart and pack away, but are nevertheless, quite compact. Another alternative would be to just get a short re-curve bow of the type that was used by horsemen virtually the world over. Compact, effective, simple.

One last point, a bow that has to be assembled prior to usage is probably worthless. Remember, there is an old phrase about becoming "unstrung," or being caught "unstrung." The implication being that you are done for. It takes very little time to string a bow - - yet obviously our ancestors thought it was entirely too long, in an emergency. Any game that was spotted will most likely be long gone by the time ever a relatively quick assembly could be accomplished. The only advantage I can see to a take-down bow would be that of concealment. If concealment was of paramount importance, well alright, otherwise, personally, I just can't see a use, that would not be better served by a normal, short bow.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth. I'm eager to see what others have to say about this.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
4. I do not know if what I'm about to describe to you is available to people in the U.K. or not, as I do not have a great familiarity with your laws. However, here in the U.S. almost all bow hunters use compound bows with the pulley systems. Small versions of these are sold for children. They are about 1/2 to 2/3 the size of the adult bows and yet are quite capable of taking relatively large game, like a deer.

Obviously, these do not come apart and pack away, but are nevertheless, quite compact. Another alternative would be to just get a short re-curve bow of the type that was used by horsemen virtually the world over. Compact, effective, simple.

Been looking at these my self.

http://www.libertyarchery.com/

Unfortunately £580 for the kit. ( glum )

Last edited:
Interesting point about the charger set up.

I'd imagine a battery would not only be heavy but would itself been charging at some point.

I was looking at importing a handy little device last year - it was a wind up radio / torch with a lead to connect it to phones / PDS's etc to charge them up. More robust than solar chargers and multi-function which is always good when considering kit weight / bulk. Might have to re-visit that one.

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
I had a Fred Bear take down three part recurve. It was many years ago when I was a teenager. It took just a minute or so too put together. Was fun to use killed many rabbits. Wish I still had it. If you get a chance look up the bowhunting Fred Bear did hunting big game all over the world.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Is there not two different types of bow hunting in the US?

One with compounds, and one with long/traditional bows.

I belive the reason for most people using compounds, is that they are easier to aim. A long/traditional bow used by an expert is shot in almost one fluid motion, it is why you need to spend the rest of your life practicing to get really good. A compound at shooting pull does something weird so you are not holding the full weight.

Never thought of a bike battery but yes could will have been. They do mention in the film that it has been topped up with water. What I was thinking of is you carry a solar panel, a wind up charger, and something like this battery. Then charge everything off the big battery which itself is charged during the day by the panel. You keep the big battery fully charged using the wind up charger. Now the panels are about, but the wind up chargers not so much. You want something with more power output for this. The little ones take a lot of time/energy to charge anything. Plus I agree a lead battery is going to need a case of some kind.

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
In Florida Archery season is for all types of bows except crossbows. Compound bow use cams to reduce the holding weight of the drawn bow. It makes it easier in that when you draw you can hold to wait for the best time to releace. That way if the animal is behind brush or anything you are better able to make a clean kill. It take much practice to use either type of bow.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
OK, let me say right up front, that I haven't seen the film. Now, having said that, here are a few observations:

1. A small car-style battery sounds like a motorcycle battery. In any case that would probably be a lead-acid "wet" battery. Think "heavy." I can see the advert now: "comes in a handy lead container!" Also, when you put it in your pack, it undoubtedly will turn over on its side and run acid all over everything in your pack, destroying all, including the pack. Also, these car-style batteries are going to need regular recharging. Not easily done in the woods.
More likely to be a gel battery of the type used in mobility scooters. They are not as heavy as lead acid and dont spill the contents and unlike traditional lead-acid batteries, they are designed for repeated deep discharge & recharge cycles. They are sometimes used by mobile ham radio enthusiasts who use them to power their long range portable rigs. The reason they are used is because they deliver 12 volts for a long(ish) time. If you are not running anything that needs 12 volts, go with AA size rechargeable sanyo eneloops.

Last edited:

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Never thought of a bike battery but yes could will have been. They do mention in the film that it has been topped up with water. What I was thinking of is you carry a solar panel, a wind up charger, and something like this battery. Then charge everything off the big battery which itself is charged during the day by the panel. You keep the big battery fully charged using the wind up charger. Now the panels are about, but the wind up chargers not so much. You want something with more power output for this. The little ones take a lot of time/energy to charge anything. Plus I agree a lead battery is going to need a case of some kind.

If you live in California, then portable solar charges might be worthwhile. Here in the UK, they are a waste of money. You need sunlight for them to work. Even when there is sunlight, they need a long time exposed to it to recharge a battery - a couple of days for 1xAA size. It might be worthwhile using a fairly large solar panel as a top up charger on a vehicle that is sitting in the sunlight all day, every day, but totally pointless on a walker. Similar with hand cranks, you'll be there all day trying to recharge a 12 volt lead acid battery, you'll die of boredom before you get that thing charged.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I saw the film the other week, there ws just my son, myself and one other in the cinema, this i feel sums up the film. Other than passing on the message that the bible will survive, and help mankind through its darkest hour, this film is very poor, and not worthy of the talents of Denzil Washington.

Rob

Dec 28, 2009
newcastle
it was a motorbike battery denzel used, ave got one very similar on my trails bike, and in all honesty it wouldnt take that much juice to listen to al green would it? as for the bow all i can think of is a hinge set up with a slide over shim to keep it in place??? regardless the girl was hot!

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I haven't seen the movie yet, but its on the short list.

I have a Hoyt 55lb take down,3 piece, re-curve bow. The limbs attach with two knurled screws and the bow is very quick to set up.

Take down bows are very effective, ironically the bow is very compact when broken into three pieces but the arrows are still just as long. As far as I know nobody makes two piece arrows so the bow parts are shorter than the ammo.

Mac

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
I haven't seen the movie yet, but its on the short list.

I have a Hoyt 55lb take down,3 piece, re-curve bow. The limbs attach with two knurled screws and the bow is very quick to set up.

Take down bows are very effective, ironically the bow is very compact when broken into three pieces but the arrows are still just as long. As far as I know nobody makes two piece arrows so the bow parts are shorter than the ammo.

Mac

I have several friends in Florida who use Hoyt bows. They are very well made. I have a PSE compound I bought used 12 yrs ago. When I moved to the UK I removed the limbs and brought it over. When I put it back together the cable jumped off the pulley and cracked a limb. I called PSE to order a new limb. They told me they didnt make them any more but would give me a 50% discount on any PSE bow I wanted. Just have to save some money. Great customer sevice.

Rebirth

Oct 25, 2009
In a barrel, in a field
I enjoyed the film, mainly because it reminded me of Fallout 3 and it's a bit like a mad max film but without all the usual clichés. I couldn't decide whether it was a pro Christian type film or simply pointing out that the book will always be used to control the masses, you have the bad guy who desperately wanted the book to do just that and the good guy who wanted it reprinted for everyone. If you haven't seen the film i wont tell you who 'wins' at the end but it doesn't take much of a guess of who does, it is a Hollywood film after all. Ultimately, they both do.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Does it?

I think it maybe raises some points for continuity and suspension of disbelief in Hollywood post-apocalyptic fantasy films, but I think it has no relevcance to bushcraft at all.
:eek:

Sort of see what you are saying, and it did need you to turn your brain off for a while. Were do the arrows go?

The only reason I even brought the film up, was it made me think about certain long term bushcraft issues.

If you live in California, then portable solar charges might be worthwhile. Here in the UK, they are a waste of money. You need sunlight for them to work. Even when there is sunlight, they need a long time exposed to it to recharge a battery - a couple of days for 1xAA size. It might be worthwhile using a fairly large solar panel as a top up charger on a vehicle that is sitting in the sunlight all day, every day, but totally pointless on a walker.

Not heard anything about the panels being that bad here. Wonder if that is why the enegrizer product I like the look of is not available here.

Similar with hand cranks, you'll be there all day trying to recharge a 12 volt lead acid battery, you'll die of boredom before you get that thing charged.

Yeah, read some test of those mobile chargers, long time. Thought the radios were much better, but still not ideal.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Not heard anything about the panels being that bad here. Wonder if that is why the enegrizer product I like the look of is not available here.

I bought one of those panels you hang on your rucksack and it's crap, even in the height of summer with long, bright days it takes a long time to charge a single AA. The panel just isnt big enough and given that we only have strong sunshine for a couple of weeks a year ....well I dont rate em anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE