Book - Bushcraft, Mors Kochansky

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
I am currently waiting for this book to arrive from Amazon, has anybody read it and can recommend it, i now it's a bit late now but hey.
I have not heard of this guy before, only a few mentions on the forum, is he contemporary with Mr Mears. I ahve aso ordered Woodcraft by Nessmuk, any thoughts on this one. And is there a book dedicated to British bushcraft, as i am not likely to be off to Australia, Africa or any where else that exciting :(

Mark

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Rangerman180 said:
I am currently waiting for this book to arrive from Amazon, has anybody read it and can recommend it, i now it's a bit late now but hey.
I have not heard of this guy before, only a few mentions on the forum, is he contemporary with Mr Mears. I ahve aso ordered Woodcraft by Nessmuk, any thoughts on this one. And is there a book dedicated to British bushcraft, as i am not likely to be off to Australia, Africa or any where else that exciting :(

Mark

I dont think you have to worry mate. He is the old father of Bushcraft.
cheers
Abbe

Rangerman180 said:

Mark

It's Mors who is standing next to PatrickM in his Bushcraft hat thread. We both spent a week with him last month. If you are on broadband, i can send you a Powerpoint photographic presentation of the course and you can see some of his work ;)

Originally the book was called "Northern Bushcraft" but was then re-issued as "Bushcraft". Unfortunately Mors gets less royalties for the latter version :(

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Cheers Fenlander, :You_Rock_

At home I am on dialup, but you can send it to my workplace addy as thats on BBand.

I 'le PM you.

Mark

44Morsbirchbarkcanoescalemodel.jpg
[/IMG]

This is one of his scale models of a birch bark canoe.

in terms of a book for British bushcraft ray mears' book - 'Ray Mears Outdoor Survival Handbook'. It covers most things and despite its publishing date it is not out dated hardly at all. It is one of his first books and is in adifferent format o his later ones which are good (and in colour) but cover worldwide bushcraft.

Hope that helps
woodwalker

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Rangerman180 said:
I have not heard of this guy before, only a few mentions on the forum

well congratulations Mark, you have just purchased one of the finest books on Bushcraft ever written.

Certainly on my top ten list and the first book I would recommend to someone starting to learn Bushcraft, you can choose to learn many things in Bushcraft but the things in this book should be mastered so as to become a foundation for everything else

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
This book looks interesting, I might want to get it too. Is Amazon the best place to get it from? (I'm from belgium)

greetings,
gunnar

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Stuart said:
well congratulations Mark, you have just purchased one of the finest books on Bushcraft ever written.

Certainly on my top ten list and the first book I would recommend to someone starting to learn Bushcraft, you can choose to learn many things in Bushcraft but the things in this book should be mastered so as to become a foundation for everything else

I'll second that!

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Mors' "Bushcraft" is superb. Well worth having.

Nessmuk's Caming and Woodcraft is also excellent, though from an historical perspective (c19th). Still plenty of sage advice, though...

Horace Kephardt may be worth a look, too...

Jim.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE