Bonjour 'tout le monde' from a Scot from Central France!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all,
I'm Julie, originally from Aberdeenshire, Scotland but now living the self-sufficient life in Central France. We have a small-holding of 1 hectare where we grow all our own veg and have three milking goats and 4 breeding ewes for meat and milk, as well as the usual poultry , cats and dogs!
We have a woodland of two hectares for firewood, building materials, basket-making materials etc, etc and just because we love to camp out there too! We have started building a round-house from the materials there - roundwood with a reciprocal frame roof with wattle and daub walls. This will provide housing for us when we are coppicing during the winter.
We supplement our home-raised veg and meat with foraging/fishing and occasionally roadkill and deer maimed but not killed by hunters.We do all our own killing and butchering.
We enjoy green woodworking, spoon-carving etc and I am currently learning the traditional local peasant methods of basket making using hedgerow materials.
We are renovating the old farm-house using natural and recycled materials which will not have any inside flushing toilets. We have a very successful composting toilet and will have a reed-bed and willow waste water system.
We enjoy learning and practicing a whole range of bushcrafting/survival/ natural-living skills and I hope to learn and maybe share a whole of stuff here!
A Bientot!
Julie

garethw

Settler
Bienvenue au forum Julie,
From a fellow Celt, but living in the North of France near Reims.
I'm certain you'll find this an instructive and friendly forum... where there's loads to learn and share, I certainly have. Even if it is frequented by a sacré paquet de Sassanachs!!! LOL!!
Amicalement
Gareth

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Welcome.

It sounds like you're living the life most of us here can only dream about; good for you!

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
Hi all,
I'm Julie, originally from Aberdeenshire, Scotland but now living the self-sufficient life in Central France. We have a small-holding of 1 hectare where we grow all our own veg and have three milking goats and 4 breeding ewes for meat and milk, as well as the usual poultry , cats and dogs!
We have a woodland of two hectares for firewood, building materials, basket-making materials etc, etc and just because we love to camp out there too! We have started building a round-house from the materials there - roundwood with a reciprocal frame roof with wattle and daub walls. This will provide housing for us when we are coppicing during the winter.
We supplement our home-raised veg and meat with foraging/fishing and occasionally roadkill and deer maimed but not killed by hunters.We do all our own killing and butchering.
We enjoy green woodworking, spoon-carving etc and I am currently learning the traditional local peasant methods of basket making using hedgerow materials.
We are renovating the old farm-house using natural and recycled materials which will not have any inside flushing toilets. We have a very successful composting toilet and will have a reed-bed and willow waste water system.
We enjoy learning and practicing a whole range of bushcrafting/survival/ natural-living skills and I hope to learn and maybe share a whole of stuff here!
A Bientot!
Julie

WOW that sure is a lot of oui oui oui's!!!
welcome whatever the weather!!
-had to make a quick dash to the en suite after reading all those!!:lmao:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
mange tout.

Hehehehehehee! That's about the extent of my french too, well sort of.

Welcome Julie from a Londoner/Kentish man up here in Calvados, Normandy. Does ineed sound like you're living the dream most here would want. Congrats on actually achieving it and welcome to the forum. Hope to see some pix of this idyllic place sometime.

Aaron aka "Biker"

Hi all!
Thanks for the warm welcome :)
@ Hamish - Furryboots in the @Shire ? We were between Insch and Huntly near the Glens of Foudland. We are renovarting the old house which dates from around the end of the 19th century, built by the grandfather of the woman we bought it from. It is built of local fieldstone and clay/mud/lime mortar. It originally had only two rooms on the fist floor with the standard grainstore in the attic floor. There is a large woodshed to the rear and three small animal houses tacked on to the side that we are incorporating to create more rooms. All this is being done using the same natural materials as the original construction; the timber comes from our own woodland. The other construction going on at the moment is a roundhouse we are building in the woodland with the help of our friends who have camped and worked in the woodland. It is made of Sweet Chestnut in the round with a reciprocal frame roof. The walls will be woven with hazel and then coated in clay/mud/straw mix aka cob! We hope to eventually put on a Sweet Chestnut shingled roof . So if you fancy making hundreds of chestnut shingles...!!!!
@ Sandbender - We have the usual assortment of hens that go broody each year and appear with a mixed bunch of chicks. They are a mix of Light Sussex (le Coq!) and Maran and a black and copper/gold French breed and the usual Rhode Island reds! The ducks are what the French call 'sauvage' a bit like domesticated Mallards. Ours have semi-reverted to the wild as there is a large pond where they spend a lot of their time!! The last of the geese (the gander) fell foul of a predator, we think probably a Marten of some kind-there are lot around here, during the Winter.
Until I manage to rootle around my two external drives worth of photos (photography is another of my passions!) -there are some on my blog (which I am ashamed to say has been woefully neglected) and my Flickr pages ( which is restricted as I can't afford to upgrade to a 'Pro' account!!
www.lifeatlaforge.blogspot.com
www.flickr.com/photos/jooliree

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hi all!
Thanks for the warm welcome :)
@ Hamish - Furryboots in the @Shire ? We were between Insch and Huntly near the Glens of Foudland. We are renovarting the old house which dates from around the end of the 19th century, built by the grandfather of the woman we bought it from. It is built of local fieldstone and clay/mud/lime mortar. It originally had only two rooms on the fist floor with the standard grainstore in the attic floor. There is a large woodshed to the rear and three small animal houses tacked on to the side that we are incorporating to create more rooms. All this is being done using the same natural materials as the original construction; the timber comes from our own woodland. The other construction going on at the moment is a roundhouse we are building in the woodland with the help of our friends who have camped and worked in the woodland. It is made of Sweet Chestnut in the round with a reciprocal frame roof. The walls will be woven with hazel and then coated in clay/mud/straw mix aka cob! We hope to eventually put on a Sweet Chestnut shingled roof . So if you fancy making hundreds of chestnut shingles...!!!!

Inverurie :) and then near bucksburn when i was at the agricultural college for my degree. its the roundhouse that im interested in as its a dream of mine ever since i went tae archeaolink just up the road! id love tae fire over and help but operations have kept me grounded but good luck with it, hope tae hear updates on how the shingle roof goes.

Hamish

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE