Bone Jewellery

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Hi all.

These are tow bits made from bone I made recently. The bone was a 3 quid dogs chew toy I bought before Christmas for a different project, and I had a bit left over so here we go.

I would also like to point out that I have a new-found respect for fishfish and anyone else who works with bone!:notworthy

And i would like to observe that bone dust SMELLS!

First up is a bone pendant. Got this idea for an instructable in the 'manly crafts' book someone posted about on here a while ago. first rasped the bone down to mainly done with files and a junior hack saw. Added a bit of leather cord I had hanging around and then made two apple wood beads to put on the cord.

Second is a bone ring. this was as rasped down, then hole drilled in the middle and a toss load of filing and sanding, but I'm quite happy with it. sadly it only fits my pinky!

Thanks for looking.

Regards,
Stephen

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice work there, like is said; there's something about bone adornments. Just makes me think about past times and wondering what hasn't survived the millennia like metal jewellery has.

Nice stuff, especially like the ring.

Cheers for posting.
GB.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Thanks guys,

Goatboy, that was kind of my thinking when I decided to give it a go. We are always hearing about peoples who never wasted any part of the animal, so why would we think that would stop at functional things.

The pendant, (according to the instructable)was based on what was original meant to be a functional fish hook if needs be. (while mine is'nt, good luck fitting it in a fishes mouth, let alone catching with it!)
But the ring was purely to see what it would look like and what could be done. (although I am well pleased with it)
Even now it has a certain strength to it, so I can see why it was often used for tools.

Ste

Last edited:

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
yo...well done mate....i sell a lot of antler rings at shows so i know how tough they are to make.....

s

ps....wear a dust mask!

dust mask- Couldn't agree more!

I am working on a reindeer antler one at the mo, and am finding it a little more difficult as even the mini files take off a lot more at time than with the bone. This is making it much more difficult to control width, thickness etc. any tips?

Ste

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
Brilliant work mate. Funny this thread has come up. I have been looking at primitive bone and antler fish hooks for the last two days. Now in the process of making a primitive fish hand line set. Not easy stuff to work with.:(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE