BOMB PROOF EQUIPMENT

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ettrick reiver

Jan 7, 2017
Scotland
1960's Brno 22lr:
q2TFTY7.jpg

K
Great taste Sir ! Still the finest bolt action 22 rifle going.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’d say, given it’s history, the Svea 123 stove could be called bombproof. I bought one for its simplicity and size, and thoroughly enjoy firing it up.

But I haven’t used it 30 years. I don’t have any equipment that’s over 30 years old.

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Waxoyl is shite.

Dinitrol is much much better.
Good to know.
When I had my first new Defender I asked the dealership I wanted the chassis rustprotected inside and out. I remember he told me almost nobody had that request, which I thought odd.
Defenders are far from bomb proof to be frank.
Awful quality.
But easy to fix, ultra simple construction, cheap parts, so long lifespan.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrEd and Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Last year I met a man in a WW2 Willie's Jeep in central France.

He told me he would use it every day since decades and every part would be original.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
He didn't give me the impression that he would like to sell it.

Probably it's a nice car in France, but in Brandenburg in winter times???

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Well, in Brandenburg wintertime, the Jeep will do very well. Many a Jeep went all the way from the Moscow area all the way to Berlin, and further West!

Of course, you need to be tough. A glass of Glycol is the historic tipple that will toughen you up....

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You will never do diddly squat on your vehicle to cook a hot meal on a snowy day.

My Coleman 2-burner "green box" will light and run like Hello at -40C (circa 1977).
Just keep the snow off it until you get it lit and pots over the burners.
Used them for months at a time in the mid 1960's. Best stove on the planet and lots of parts.
Same goes for the miriad of models of their petrol lanterns.

But as for most good things, the increases in prices in the last decade is eye-watering.
Pays to shop around for deals maybe 40% lower than some outdoor store prices.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
That is the scourge of the Western World.
Quality goods need quality ( expensive) materials and motivated, quality ( expensive) workforce working in a safe, well lit and warm ( expensive) environment, with a good Quality Control ( expensive)

Goods turn expensive. But last. So in fact they are cheaper than the cheap stuff made elsewhere.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Good equipment is not only cheap, it can save your precious life.

A cheap tent that rips in a severe storm is not fun. Same scenario during a snow storm in Scotland ( this is a UK based forum so...) can kill you.
Buy quality.

The Bears are hungry now. Cat is safe?

Last edited:

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
You will never do diddly squat on your vehicle to cook a hot meal on a snowy day.

My Coleman 2-burner "green box" will light and run like Hello at -40C (circa 1977).
Just keep the snow off it until you get it lit and pots over the burners.
Used them for months at a time in the mid 1960's. Best stove on the planet and lots of parts.
Same goes for the miriad of models of their petrol lanterns.

But as for most good things, the increases in prices in the last decade is eye-watering.
Pays to shop around for deals maybe 40% lower than some outdoor store prices.

God’s own stove is fully compatible with God’s own 4x4!

AC17480C-F13C-4791-B544-83F137BCAC3B.jpeg

Reactions: Erbswurst and Janne

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
My oldest bits of kit still seeing regular use are paraffin lamps. Two Aladdin's in the house, one from circa 1930 the other 1969. Gorgeous lamps that make me weep every time I look at the price of spares. A Tilley-X246 aka 'Guardsman' from 1979 providing both heat and light in the shed and a Feuerhand storm lantern (1949-1969) that came out to the winter moot.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Did the still produced stuff really become expensive, or is it just our impression, because we are used to military surplus prices and compare European and US American production and Japanese equipment with third world stuff?

I think normal Victorinox knives, Ortlieb dry bags, Hilleberg tents, Steinkogler boots, Essl rucksacks, Helle knives, Ochsenkopf or Bison axes, Feuerhand lamps, Laguiole or Opinel and classic Mora knives, Coleman stoves, Tortuga Kohten, Bavarian deer leather shorts and woolen hunting jackets from Rascher for example, Trangia sets and similar high end quality stuff didn't really change the prices if I compare it with 1985 and count in working hours of normal european people.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Back in the 1970's, a Coleman "green box" was about $100.00, if you looked around.
Just a couple of days ago, on line, I saw them for $350.00. Shrivel my cojones.

I think that my fishing tackle, reels like Hardy and ABU, are so old that they were not made in Asia.
I built my own rods so that sort of doesn't count.

Also, I don't think that the UK and Europe is quite as tightly tied into Pacific Rim trade agreements like we are.
Those rice-burners are not far away. The shere diversity of their production is amazing.
As is always the case, it takes a partnership to encourage and make the flood of cheap stuff.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Just about matching paint! Lah-Dee-Dah!!!

FWIW the stove is now painted in black Hammerite and the “shelf” that the burners sit on replaced with stainless steel after it rusted through after three years of constant use and abuse.

The Landy is a year or two shy of its 30th birthday and now has a galvanised chassis after the original (which had spent the first ten years of its life enjoying the sea air in Aberdeen), succumbed to tinworm and the hammering from African roads plus many other replacement parts although the engine, drivetrain and most of the panels are original.

Both may be practical, rugged, durable and repairable, but perhaps “bomb proof’ is pushing it a bit. :)

Nice to hear of a 1940s Jeep in daily use - IIRC, my grandfather bought one after the war to use as a tractor. BTW it is a Willys Jeep (although many/most were made by Ford etc) pronounced “Willis” (as in Bruce) - “Willies” are something very different!

Here is a vid by Landy and Sahara guru Toby Savage recreating LRDG adventures in the desert with a couple of 1940s Jeeps.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE