Boker Plus Bushcraft Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beefy0978

Forager
Jul 18, 2012
South west
I received delivery of my Boker Bushcraft knife yesterday and thought I'd post a few thoughts (not really a review) in the hope of enlightening others who might be considering making a purchase.

I saw it appear during one of my frequent visits to the Heinnie Haynes website and at £46.95p figured it was worth a punt. It certainly looked the part. The catch was that it was pre-order and the delivery time was not known.

But after several months; yesterday; it arrived.

Heinnies provided their usual excellent service. Less than 24 hrs from posting to delivery, well packaged and great communication along the way.

Having opened the outside packaging I was impressed with Boker's own silver embossed black presentation box. Classy and promising.

On opening the box i was initially presented with some literature explaining Boker's lifetime warranty on materials and workmanship for the original owner. This requires a registration which I will be completing shortly together with my thoughts for Boker's consideration.

The next thing of note was the good quality foam padding and precut shapes for the three items, knife, fire steel and sheath. Again classy and well thought out. The presentation looks good. Everything is black or silver (well stainless). Impressed so far.

Now for the closer look...

I instinctively went for the sheath first as my 4 yr old went for the fire steel! Picking up the sheath I was instantly disappointed. It was marked. But at the price that didn't bother me. It was stiff and misshapen. Low grade materials had obviously been used here to cut costs. And IMHO the school boy error had been committed. Rivets to hold down the belt loop, so that the metal could scratch at the knife with every use. Not good. Shame really as I then looked more closely at the other items.

Having wrestled with the 4 yr old I recovered the firesteel. Now this on the other hand was a good idea, and well made. However, it's very heavy and I struggle to see its point. The firesteel rod is concealed inside a solid aluminium tube, opened by a screw thread. The tube has a small button compass glued to one end and there are lanyard holes at either end. It is supplied with a small chain and striker which seems completely unnecesary since the knife will happily throw sparks from the rod. This appears to be a separate product thrown in as an extra, that they'd like to be selling separately but couldn't. Not sure the firesteel rod needs to be protected and the compass could be glued to the firesteel handle instead of the tube very easily. Bit of a waste really. I think they squeezed the budget on the sheath when they could simply have removed the firesteel idea.

Then I picked up the knife. Yes I'd wanted to grab that first really. I have the Condor Bushlore, mini Bushlore and Nessmuk so they're really where my opinion comes from. I plumbed for this knife because I wanted something well, prettier, but cheap enough to keep using and similar in design.

First of all it looks the part. There's a thick slab of 440c stainless and so it's quite reassuringly heavy. I like it. Its pleasant to hold and just feels as though it can do the job. The Boker Plus emblem is laser or chemically etched on the blade. Far more discretely than in the marketting images. Very sweet. On the reverse of the blade is confirmation that the steel is 440-c. To my surprise these are numbered! On the spine where bolsters would be. Mine os number 0077.

The handle is black. I'm not quite sure what the material really is. It looks like wood but feels very different. It's likely to be resin impregnated. But does the job, looks and feels good. There's the usual lanyard hole and two securing pins. These are brass outers and aluminium or similar centres. Why oh why did they not just use a single metal pin. Brass or aluminium/steel would have done the job, probably cheaper. Inevitably the metals have warped or worn under shaping slightly so that they are not perfect opening up slight gaps and exposing the glue. It's worth saying that one side of the knife is much better than the other so there will be better and worse finishes out there! Shame as the pins ruin the overall impression of the knife.

Now having said everything above, this is a £46.95p product.

Is it worth this price? Yes. Maybe. Not really.

It could have been so much better by getting rid of the extras and sorting the sheath. By the time I've made a replacement sheath I could have increased my budget by another £20 which would then present the option of the Condor Bushlore Micarta.

But again this is stainless and Condor don't make a stainless bushcrafter. Yet......

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Photos would be useful.
Reading the catalogue description might have helped give a more authoratative review as well - it is always good to get the materials properly described ....
This is not meant to be at all a nasty comment - just a tip for future reviews :)
I write reviews for a living (or part of one :) ) and know how hard it can be :)

Beefy0978

Forager
Jul 18, 2012
South west
Well you've all put me straight on the loveless bolts. I've still seen far better finishes. But as said, the knife itself is worth the price. The fire steel is a nice touch but it's intended purpose is a little unclear, and the sheath is well less than useful.

I'll try to ge some pics added shortly. And comment on some use of it!

This was a bit of a rushed job from the iPad with its very annoying spell checker!

Last edited:

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
It's good to hear you thoughts on this knife. I've looked at it a couple of times online but never handled one, for the money it looked incredible value. It would be good to see some pics of the actual knife and other bits, also it would be great to hear how you are getting on with the knife in a weeks time or so, once you have put it through it's paces.

I recently bought the Boker + pocket bowie to use as a neck knife. Whilst I like the look of the knife the steel used for the blade (440 Stainless) is not my cup of tea. It just doesn't seem to cut well so I'd be interested to hear thoughts as the Bushcraft knife has the same blade material.

All the best

Stu

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
440c is ok, you can get it just as sharp as most steels, but the difference is that it does not hold its edge very long.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Well you've all put me straight on the loveless bolts!

Apologies Beefy :sad6: i have seen some more pictures of this knife over on BB and it turns out that the bolts Boker have used on this knife are not actually Loveless style bolts but a stainless type bolt with a sort of brass shim round the outside edge, never seen them before, will try and post a link to the pics later.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Apologies Beefy :sad6: i have seen some more pictures of this knife over on BB and it turns out that the bolts Boker have used on this knife are not actually Loveless style bolts but a stainless type bolt with a sort of brass shim round the outside edge, never seen them before, will try and post a link to the pics later.

Yeah, weird aren't they. I just came over to say that they might not loveless. They might be, just some weird size but I dunno. They do look a bit dodgy. :D

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Got mine today (Could not resist) first impressions seem OK. Been painting the lounge so not had time to play.

Could always post some pics if the OP does not mind the hijack/help

sent from the back of beyond using "new-fangled" technology

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
For less than 50 quid, I wouldn't worry if it didn't have a sheath. There are enough good leather workers around here to make one. As it came with a decent firesteel that makes the cost of the knife 8-10 quid cheaper than the 46 quid purchase price. 440c as has been mentioned isn't a bad steel. Apart from being a bit too thick, whats not to like?

Last edited:

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I really like mine, I am not even sure I am going to get the edge re-profiled. The sheath mine came with was not bad at all!

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
Got one Thursday baring in mind the firesteel is worth almost twelve quid it's not a bad deal even more so for me as no vat
the scales seem to be canvas micarta mine needed a bit of a rob down and polish just for the sake of it
the sheath is by no means a custom job but with a bit of wet moulding does a functional job
all in all for less than fourty quid all in for what I intend it for sitting in my fishing kit I,m impressed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE