Boiling Water

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Try and get hold of a Millbank bag John, I use one to clear any carp out first then a rolling boil for a minute or two is enough.

There's a slight chance you might get a diesel taste depending on where you are obviously ;)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Hi Folks,

I was just wondring how long to boil loch water for, i got one of those ghillie kettles (thanks sandbag) in the group buy and was wondering what everyones thoughts are on how long to let it boil??

Thanks again

John
As soon as it reaches the rolling boil point, it is as safe to drink as it is going to get, short of boiling it in a pressure cooker. Any longer and all you are doing is wasting fuel.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I was looking for a millbank bag but the ones i seen were expensive, when i told some folk i seen them and they were expensive they looked at me like i was mental, there must be a cheap source for them, i will have a look about again. No carp up here, just perch and pike (sorry couldn't resist it)

Thanks for the response guys, was abit worried wether it was ok or not, has never bothered me in the past but i read some remarks on here in the past looks like i was geting it wrong, soince i'm taking the better half with me canoeing these days i don't want to poison her.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Boiling for more than 5 seconds is only required at higher altitude than found in the UK

OR if there is even fine particulate matter in the water ( the particulates insulate microorganisms form the heat)

A simple filter (such as the milbank) mean that attaining rolling boil is sufficient

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you can't get a reasonably priced Millbank bag, find a cheap jelly bag for straining fruit for jelly (jam).
The jelly they help make is crystal clear so ought to be fine for water borne particulates.

The old ones were made from very fine woollen cloth that had been felted.

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The replacement nylon ones from lakeland are excellent too :)

You can make a handy dandy suspension device from a bit of fencing wire too :D

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I got my filter bag from a bio diesel site ( for making fuel from used veg oil and the likes ) you can buy them in tons of filter sizes, right now to about 4 microns I think. The one I have is 25 microns, and yes I know its not going to filter any nasties out, it's not meant to. Fairly cheap and very very light too.

I got my filter bag from a bio diesel site ( for making fuel from used veg oil and the likes ) you can buy them in tons of filter sizes, right now to about 4 microns I think. The one I have is 25 microns, and yes I know its not going to filter any nasties out, it's not meant to. Fairly cheap and very very light too.

Coffee filters make a good improvised sediment filter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE