Boiled eggs and coffee

Late evening musings and thinking of different breakfast options when I am out camping. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere but does anyone make use of the boiled water after making boiled eggs to brew a coffee. I am quite partial to eggs for breakfast when out camping and using a trangia mini I reckon I could boil up a couple of eggs, use the same water to brew a coffee and then cook some sausages and bacon in the frying pan? Would boiling eggs affect the water and spoil my coffee?

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Probably not, it’s pretty common in parts of the world to put your eggs in the kettle to cook.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Doubt there is any risk, but could always put in eggs in a sous vide type bag first.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
That’s surprising, my mate asked me why his pans were black , I said it was because he was always boiling eggs.
Happened to one of my pans.
The pan that was always referred to as ‘the egg pan’ when I was growing up never did that. What’s the black? The only thing I thought it might be is aluminium oxide, but there aren’t any compounds in the eggs that would react to make anything black.

We have very chalky alkaline water here, as hard as it gets, maybe that’s a factor?

Last edited:
I have light discoloration from only ever boiling water so far. Good soft Scottish water.
b4cb3ee2164a55df92f6a85705b6ea11.jpg

The Frightful

Apr 21, 2020
Essex
Late evening musings and thinking of different breakfast options when I am out camping. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere but does anyone make use of the boiled water after making boiled eggs to brew a coffee. I am quite partial to eggs for breakfast when out camping and using a trangia mini I reckon I could boil up a couple of eggs, use the same water to brew a coffee and then cook some sausages and bacon in the frying pan? Would boiling eggs affect the water and spoil my coffee?

For me it would depend how much water i had with me. Squaddies often heat tinned food in water, then use water for a brew and maybe have enough for a shave. Personally id put the cackle berry in a mylar bag to avoid eggy Tea, sometimes they crack and leak a little white

If you're making your coffee from powdered/granulated, no difference at all, it taste awful anyway. If you're making fresh ground coffee, yep, you'll taste it. I can taste the difference in my coffee if someone has not refilled the kettle with fresh water let alone water that has boiled soiled calcium carbonate and mixed proteins :)
I make real coffee so yeah I think you are right. Good water makes a better brew.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If you're making your coffee from powdered/granulated, no difference at all, it taste awful anyway. If you're making fresh ground coffee, yep, you'll taste it. I can taste the difference in my coffee if someone has not refilled the kettle with fresh water let alone water that has boiled soiled calcium carbonate and mixed proteins :)

< Broch looking at us Instant coffee addicts >

1726155657717.png

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

I’m exactly the same. My sister came round the other day and I began grinding a delicious Peruvian washed Bourbon and Caturra, and she asked if I had any instant!

Honestly, I flinched as if struck.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London

This is where a 12cm Zebra billy is your friend. Lightly oil and add a spoon of water to the small pan of the billy, fill the billy with a little more water than you need for your coffee, crack an egg into the small pan, put small pan back in billy. put on lid, then put the whole thing on your cook kit of choice. 7-10 minutes later you have boiling water for coffee and 1 or 2 poached eggs. I use this method a lot. No pics from in the field, so I took some in the kitchen. Hope this helps.
IMG_1315.JPG
IMG_1316.JPG
IMG_1317.JPG

Reactions: GreyCat and Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE